Freenas shows in upnp products only when i reset minidlna

Status
Not open for further replies.

nielssito

Cadet
Hello,

I did a lot of research the last few days and got my old netbook to be uses as a freenas.
My aim is to share and play my foto's, video's and music on my android with BubbleUPNP and with my playstation 3.

Now I have to problems wich don't allow me to do just that:

1. I can't see the freenas on my ps3 or bubbleupnp. It only pops up when I go into the webbrowser of freenas and turn off minidnla en then turn it on again. Then the server(freenas)turns on my ps3 and on bubbleupnp.

2. then the second problem. I mounted all my files in the share optiones in the jail to /media.
Now as written above, I can only acces my files when I turn the minidlna plugin OFF and then On, and then I have to stay on that page wich shows the plugins wich are on and off, if I want to let it keep working.
So now I can acces my files on bubbleupnp en the ps3, but it only show and plays the videofiles. It doesn't show any music or foto's. The foto's are al just *.jpg and the music is just all mp3.

I tries serveral things. I tried to mount all the media separatly. So a map from music, a map with fotos and a map with video. I also tried to mount the root map of the seperate media maps, fotos, video and music. In both cases, I can still only see and play video files, but no music or fotos.

Could anybody out there please help me with these annoying issues?

kind regards,

Niels from the Netherlands

nielssito

Cadet
oh, here is my configuration:
Freenas is on a MSI netbook with a atom 1.60ghz processor and 2 gb ram(yes I know Freenas asks a minimal of 8).
Freenas version -9.2.1.9-RELEASE-x86 is installed, beceause the netbook is 32 bit only. so I used the last Freenas wich could be used on a 32 bit machine. I use UFS file system, because of the heavy requirements the ZFS files system needs.

Now please don't tell me I have to upgrade the netbook, or use another better computer. I am only looking for a solution for my problem. I think it should work ok with my netbook. I only have a harddisk of 320 gb hooked on Freenas.

hope to hear from ya folks!

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Now please don't tell me I have to upgrade the netbook, or use another better computer. I am only looking for a solution for my problem.
Unfortunately these two desires are incompatible.
I think it should work ok with my netbook.
... but your experience reveals otherwise.
hope to hear from ya folks!
You're unlikely to hear from any of the long time, knowledgable posters.

If you're determined to use the netbook as a sharing host, you'll have to choose a different OS. Maybe Ubuntu with zfsonlinux, or NAS4Free (not sure what their system requirements are) or unRaid? I'm sure there are others too.

nielssito

Cadet
Thanks for your reply Robert,

But Freenas actually works like a charm. Today I streamed a MKV title from the Freenas server(the netbook) for my children. And it works fine, without any glitches or something. I can't believe that the 2 problems I described earlier is because of the netbooks configuration.

Hope you (or someone else) is still able to at least give me some options to try.

kind regards,

Niels

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Nope. Nobody with experience is going to provide you with advice. You've already ignored our advice on recommended hardware, etc etc etc. So why would we turn around and help someone that has already given our advice no value whatsoever?

Slap me in the face once, shame on you. Slap me in the face twice, shame on me.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
But Freenas actually works like a charm. Today I streamed a MKV title from the Freenas server(the netbook) for my children. And it works fine, without any glitches or something. I can't believe that the 2 problems I described earlier is because of the netbooks configuration.
But FreeNAS actually doesn't work like a charm, otherwise you wouldn't be here. You're having a problem that may very well be caused by inadequate hardware. The fact that streaming an MKV title worked today doesn't prove anything. What you can believe and what's actually happening may not coincide.
Hope you (or someone else) is still able to at least give me some options to try.
Unfortunately I don't have any experience with MiniDLNA.

nielssito

Cadet
But, I would be very curious, what kind of advices you would have gave me if the netbook has the requirements needed for using freenas....

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
But, I would be very curious, what kind of advices you would have gave me if the netbook has the requirements needed for using freenas....
a netbook/laptop simply does NOT fit the bill for a NAS device. You would get zero advice for such an insane setup. It is a futile effort.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Wellllll already am trying other os.
thanks for your time anyway!
You've made several smart decisions along the way here. You originally picked an older version of FreeNAS because you recognized that your hardware wasn't suitable for 9.3, and you picked UFS because you recognized that your hardware wasn't suitable for ZFS. I'm happy to see you've recognized that FreeNAS probably isn't the right solution for you. Persisting with trying to get help with FreeNAS on your system would be a bit like trying to get Microsoft to provide support for Windows XP because your computer wasn't suitable for Window 7.
I suggest you evaluate Plex, regardless of which OS you're using, but mostly that's just because I'm familiar with Plex.

Status
Not open for further replies.