FreeNAS server in the Mac OS finder

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't want to put this in the Bug Report forum because I'm too new at this and thought I'd ask here first. I have searched the forums and seen this to be an issue going way back.

However having said that I think its not that horrible of an issue.

I am sharing my disks via CIFS. In the Mac OS finder usually my share "freenas" is visible however when I click on it sometimes it just disappears on me. However I can connect to it 100% of the time without fail by doing

smb://freenas
cifs://freenas
smb://myIPaddress

So it is working however I want it to be like every other share on my network which is always there and always able to connect to.

Through going through the forums here I found some pretty old posts which say if you are running services that Mac OS X Finder may exhibit that behavior so last night I deleted Plex and Owncloud and sure enough it has been acting perfectly since then.

When I started this I just wanted NAS, however the services are cool. Own cloud to me is not necessary at all. Plex is kind of cool but I can run a Plex server off any other computer in the home and also Apple TV if I'm not mistaken so that also is a non issue.

Anyway FreeNAS seems a little more hands on when using Mac OS X Finder if services are running. Anyone else experience this?

Valdhor

Explorer
Strange. My FreeNAS 9.10 does not exhibit that behavior. I have both CIFS and AFP (For Time Machine backups) shares. I am running Plex, SAB, CP and Sonaar in jails. OwnCloud is installed with Apache and MySQL in another jail.

I have only had one strange thing happen (And it only happened once). I have my shares (Data - CIFS, Media - CIFS and MacBackups - AFP) set to mount on startup. After a recent Apple update and subsequent restart I got two of each share icon on the desktop. Another restart fixed that. I have an iMac i7 running the latest OS from Apple.

Another thing it does is that I can connect to the FreeNAS server and then when I leave the finder about 15 minutes later I'll get a pop up saying FreeNAS can't be found and then I have to reconnect. However now that I have removed the plugins the behavior in the finder is perfect and as expected.

What I have not done is to install Plex all by itself. It could be OwnCloud doing this.

Nick2253

Wizard
I'm wondering if you're getting a MAC address conflict or an IP conflict with your jails.

I don't think so. This is running off a VLAN off pfSense. the only device below .30 is .3 and own cloud was .2 and Plex was .4

I just figured out how to run an AFP share for Time Machine backups. Believe me I can live without own cloud and Plex. Not a deal breaker for me.

adrianwi

Guru
In Network > Interfaces do you have an IPv6 interface configured? If not, click the Auto configure option and see if that makes a difference. I had similar (not identical, as my shares are mainly AFP) problem and found this solved it. Not sure why, as my network is IPv4 :D

In Network > Interfaces do you have an IPv6 interface configured? If not, click the Auto configure option and see if that makes a difference. I had similar (not identical, as my shares are mainly AFP) problem and found this solved it. Not sure why, as my network is IPv4 :D

I just gave it a shot and will report back later. I'm at work right now and VPN'd in my network and did the auto-configure IPV6 thing. Won't really know until I'm back home and can see the whole network. Thanks.

Valdhor

Explorer
Oh yes, turn off IPv6. For some unknown reason that got turned on once and all hell broke loose. Couldn't connect or would disconnect randomly. This could easily be your problem.

rungekutta

Contributor
I had exactly the same symptom and on top of which the server would sometimes kernel panic after I had restarted jails. Not related to MAC address conflict and happened from start on an almost entirely vanilla (default) setup so unlikely related to some weird config also. I gave up in the end and figured probably some kind of comparability issue with the m/board or m/board-cpu combination, as I also couldn't find any actual hardware faults. SuperMicro X11SSM-F, Intel i3 6100, 550W Seasonic, 1x16GB ECC RAM from SuperMicro's compatible hardware list. Apart from jails the server has been rock-solid both in testing and real use.

Status
Not open for further replies.