FreeNAS running on an Apple xServe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crc32

Cadet
I have an old xServe that is now pretty obsolete. It's a 2009 model (last one), with 2x quad core Xeons, and 12GB ram. It has an Apple RAID card in it.

Anyway, it's pretty much sitting there acting as a rather half-baked fileserver. Because Apple has totally neglected their server systems, it's become unwieldy to maintain as an osx server, but it seems a waste not to use it.

Has anyone gotten FreeNAS to run on an xServe and use the RAID card? I'd like to know before I give it a try, as blowing away the system will require significant effort to move the files off and maintain availability while I muck around.

Thanks for any insight!

jamiejunk

Contributor
Obsolete?! I still have two from 2007 in production :p

I don't have any advise. Other than it's probably not worth the time. Only three drive slots isn't gonna be very good for ZFS. You might look into Netbsd though.

Also you might want to remove the reference to a RAID card with FreeNAS before CyberJock comes in here and blows a gasket!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
*blows a gasket*

I saw it yesterdat and I didn't answer because it has a RAID card. Figured I'd let someone else give the bad news...

Dennis.kulmosen

Explorer
You would be better of by using OpenZFSformacosx, forget about using that RAID card. Apple Server software is still usefull for a lot of tasks.

Status
Not open for further replies.