FreeNAS requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amit Pathak

Cadet
Hi,
I am new to this ecosystem and have been reading and trying to understand all. It is all over the place that for this system to work you need to have about a GB of ECC Ram for every TB of storage space. Then I see all the Storinators by 45drives.com that don't even have ram anywhere close to that criteria. I know some people use different OS for that. But for Petabyte storage also they used 128 GB, so it is hard to make sense. People here are very experienced, so wanted their opinion on the matter. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

danb35

Hall of Famer
you need to have about a GB of ECC Ram for every TB of storage space
That is a very loose rule of thumb. Once you get about about 16 GB of RAM, the RAM requirements depend a lot more on the details of your workload.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Indeed. We certainly never recommend ANY FreeNAS have less than 8GB of RAM. Depending on what you're doing, 8GB RAM could be alright up to, say, 12 or 15TB pool. 16GB RAM might get you to 30 or 40TB of pool. *MIGHT*. It depends on what you're doing. If you do a lot of "extra" stuff with jails, Plex, iSCSI, VMs, databases, and so on, your RAM requirements will increase for best performance.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Indeed. We certainly never recommend ANY FreeNAS have less than 8GB of RAM. Depending on what you're doing, 8GB RAM could be alright up to, say, 12 or 15TB pool. 16GB RAM might get you to 30 or 40TB of pool. *MIGHT*. It depends on what you're doing. If you do a lot of "extra" stuff with jails, Plex, iSCSI, VMs, databases, and so on, your RAM requirements will increase for best performance.
And on the note, I notice that my .signature says I have 16GB, but I actually popped that up to 32GB...so guess I'll change the sig.

Status
Not open for further replies.