FreeNAS RAID 1 hard disk capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

ando

Cadet
Hello!
I am starting so be kind please! :)

I'm looking to build a raid 1 mirroring nextcloud with FreeNAS with a capacity of 12TB.
According to different forums have been reading I actually gathered conflicting information that I need to confirm.

So my question is can I use 2x 12TB hard disk to build my mirror RAID, is it fully compatible with FreeNAS/nextcloud/any machine?
Or do I have to go through a different way?

Thanks for helping me!

Last edited by a moderator:

garm

Wizard
As long as the controller can handle the drive, ZFS can use it. The limits on a ZFS Pool is 2^128 bytes. But I would not use two drives, but four. Two mirrors is better than one and smaller disks are better than larger.

Last edited by a moderator:

wblock

Documentation Engineer
can I use 2x 12TB hard disk to build my mirror RAID

Yes. Whether you should use that layout depends on the intended use of the machine and feelings on redundancy. Typically, a machine with many mirrors like that is used for running virtual machines, but not always.

is it fully compatible with FreeNAS/nextcloud/any machine?

Sorry, I don't understand the question. Please give more detail on what is being asked.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Typically, a machine with many mirrors like that is used for running virtual machines, but not always.
OP isn't proposing many mirrors; he's proposing two disks, 12 TB each.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
with a capacity of 12TB.
If you actually need 12TB of capacity, you need more drives because you are not supposed to fill a ZFS file system beyond 80% capacity due to the copy on write nature of the file system AND a 12TB drive doesn't actually give you 12TB of capacity AND there is overhead to the storage that leaves you with even less capacity than that.
So my question is can I use 2x 12TB
No.
Or do I have to go through a different way?
Yes.

How much capacity do you really need? Why do you want to try to get there with just two disks?

ando

Cadet
Thank you very much for all your help! I really appreciate it.

How much capacity do you really need? Why do you want to try to get there with just two disks?

8TB is the capacity i really need, the rest is only forecast. I have no conviction about the 2 disks, i went in my mind to the easiest way to get there,
with your help i realize that is clearly not the easiest / smartest way.

Sy my aim should be 4 disks x 4 TB ZFS, am i right?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Sy my aim should be 4 disks x 4 TB ZFS, am i right?
I'd say 6 x 4 TB in RAIDZ2. If you want fewer disks, 4 x 8 TB. Either of those would give you 16 TB, or 14 TiB, of pool capacity, which would give you 11.5 TiB with the pool 80% full (and, as @Chris Moore notes, you don't want to exceed 80% full).

FreeNAS will handle 12 TB disks just fine, but they don't seem like the best way to get where you say you're wanting to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.