FreeNas porting hard drive and the boot USB to a newer system

cube

Cadet
Hi
I am new to freenas.

I have built a tempNAS 8GB with 4TB Western digital hard drive. the sysme boots from a 32gb USB flash drive.

I am consolidating my files to this new NAS (temp).
once I have moved my files, one more powerfull Dell zeon T3500 will be ready.

is it easy to just unplug the hard drive and the boot usb from current temp system and install in the new system and get going or I have build again. and migrate data.
Thanks

Hi @cube. You may be interested in the documentation around exporting/importing system configs in the User Guide. Additionally, you may be interested in the documentation to export and import a pool.

Do note that if you choose to go the export/import route you will want to make sure your pool layout is what you want it to be in the final setup.

Remember that you can always add more vdevs to your pool but you cannot change the number of disks in your vdev once it has been made. Add that to the fact that a pool is only as resilient to disk failure as its weakest vdev and you see how important it is that you get it right. A single-disk vdev is a bad idea long-term and sorta defeats the purpose of using FreeNAS.

What pool layout were you considering using?

the sysme boots from a 32gb USB flash drive.
For reliability many folks opt to boot off of mirrored disks and where possible folks opt for small, cheap SSDs.