FreeNAS on a KVM Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have a question, can I use FreeNAS with a KVM switch? Will when I switch the inputs the keyboard will be still detected without the need of rebooting the FreeNAS servers?

Thanks,

Guillaume

gpsguy

Yes it works just fine.

Sent from my phone

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Hi,

I have a question, can I use FreeNAS with a KVM switch? Will when I switch the inputs the keyboard will be still detected without the need of rebooting the FreeNAS servers?

Thanks,

Guillaume

Why wouldn't it?

Ok thanks for your replies, my only worry now is, I know if I disconnect the keyboard and I reconnect it, I need to reboot the FreeNAS server, so when I will switch from the FreeNAS 1 to FreeNAS 4, the keyboard will stay connected in a way to the FreeNAS server 1? I read this somewere, but I remember it was not for FreeNAS, I thought this info was for a Linux distros.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
If you have a real KVM switch (and not just some mechanical switch) this wouldn't be a problem even on an OS that fails to handle a live attach.

Linkman

Patron
According the specs listed for that KVM

"Keyboard and Mouse emulation for error-free boot up"​

that should take care of switching between computers, they should "see" a keyboard attached regardless of which one is the active one.

Ok thanks it that I search for. :)

Anyway, if it not compatible, I just have to return it to Newegg.

JDCynical

Contributor
I would be very surprised if it had a problem as the keyboard/mouse interface is USB.

(I've still got some old PS/2 port KVM cables laying around for use as an analog video cable in a pinch)

gpsguy

Frankly, I much prefer using PS/2 keyboards versus USB. The latter can be flaky.

It'll be a cold day in h3ll, before someone can take away my IBM Model M or my Unicomp.

I've still got some old PS/2 port KVM cables laying around ...

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Frankly, I much prefer using PS/2 keyboards versus USB. The latter can be flaky.

It'll be a cold day in h3ll, before someone can take away my IBM Model M or my Unicomp.

I knew you was good people! ... (typing on a Unicomp UB40416).

Odd that this topic would come up at this exact moment; I'm currently trying to figure out a little boggle. I've got a Mac Mini that I'm setting up as a secondary workstation with VMware Fusion 8 Pro. The lack of a "Command" key is a bit of a problem, since VMware Fusion wants you to be able to type "Control-Command" to escape a VM window that isn't running VMware Tools.

I did a lot of early work on AOS and AIX on the IBM RT PC 6150, and really came to appreciate the Model M. I really despised the arrogance of Microsoft in demanding a key be added to a virtually perfect keyboard, so I have been a total mule about only using 101 key keyboards even on a Windows box over the years. :smile:

However, I have no such issue with Apple, since they made their own keyboards, and I could totally see buying a Unicomp version of their keyboards. But the Mac Mini is a USB beast. So I was thinking of seeing if they had a version of their classic in the Mac layout (not their crummy "Ultra Classic" ... I like a keyboard to be large enough to be a practical weapon.) But the Mac version only comes with USB.

Is your comment about USB something in general, or was it specifically about the Unicomps?

tvsjr

Guru
Ooh, fellow Unicomp people! I have several and love them... but they do make it very hard to "multitask" while on the myriad on conference calls I sit through every day... when I forget to mute the phone, everyone (all the other non-buckling-spring-using heathens) know exactly who it is :)

As for the OP, have you considered just using IPMI, if your systems support it? No reason to have a real or KVM-based keyboard/mouse connected to most systems these days.

gpsguy

I too, am composing this reply on my Unicomp UB40416. And, I still use the 101 keyboards on my Windows boxes both at home and work.

Back in the day, I had (and still have) an IBM PC 5150 model B at home, with it's 83 key keyboard and 10 function keys on the left side. Completely decked out, it probably cost me ~$5000 USD.

My comment about USB keyboards was just a general comment.

I can't speak for Mac's, but with Windows, it seems like anytime the USB keyboard gets moved to another port (while it's off), the machine forgets it has a keyboard. I either have to try and figure out where it was before or use the mouse to restart the machine and then after the second boot, the system relearns where it's located. I never have the problem with PS/2. Putting a green plug in a green receptacle is easy.

Is your comment about USB something in general, or was it specifically about the Unicomps?

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
anytime the USB keyboard gets moved to another port (while it's off), the machine forgets it has a keyboard
Usually all you have to do to overcome this is swap the keyboard into a different USB port, if necessary exchanging with the mouse, with Windows running ... oh, and wait while Windows "installs new hardware".

You won't have this problem on OS X - your USB device will work as soon as you plug it in.
Putting a green plug in a green receptacle is easy.
True, but doing that after the system has POSTed won't do you any good.

gpsguy

At work, all our desktops and laptops use full disk encryption.

Now and then, on a Friday afternoon, a user decides to unplug everything and dust. After the put things back together, they discover their keyboard doesn't work at the preboot authentication stage. Since the helpdesk staff has left for the day, the senior guy gets to crawl on the floor and try to figure out which is the keyboard cable and where will it work. With PS/2, the user has at least a 50% chance of putting it back together correctly and a support person can easily determine which is the keyboard cable.

I'm glad to hear it's not an issue on OS X.

Usually all you have to do to overcome this is swap the keyboard into a different USB port, if necessary exchanging with the mouse, with Windows running ... oh, and wait while Windows "installs new hardware".

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
with Windows, it seems like anytime the USB keyboard gets moved to another port (while it's off), the machine forgets it has a keyboard.
I've had that happen once or twice, but it's far from being the norm. With keyboards that don't involve any hacky drivers, Windows doesn't generally mind.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I've had that happen once or twice, but it's far from being the norm. With keyboards that don't involve any hacky drivers, Windows doesn't generally mind.

Yeah, that's much closer to my experience. Back in the days of like Win98-ish, if the mouse wasn't attached at boot, $badness. Likewise, keyboards. From the atkbd driver,

Code:
   Driver Flags
     The atkbd driver accepts the following driver flags.  They can be set ei-
     ther in the kernel configuration file (see config(8)),  or else in the
     User Configuration Menu at boot time (see boot(8)).

bit 0 (FAIL_IF_NO_KBD)
           By default the atkbd driver will install even if a keyboard is not
           actually connected to the system.  This option prevents the driver
           from being installed in this situation.

My recollection is that some version of FreeBSD came with flags 0x1 which was very frustrating ;-)

Anyways, what's being discussed here is a strictly PC thing. My big concern was whether there was some sort of issue with the Unicomp, because I'm toying with the idea of ordering some Unicomp keyboards for the Macs, and the only sensible thing there is to order USB, I think.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
a user decides to unplug everything and dust
:confused:
for the Macs, and the only sensible thing there is to order USB
Strike "sensible", unless it's a very old Mac, in which case I'll be happy to sell you a genuine Apple Extended Keyboard II.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Strike "sensible",

Why?

unless it's a very old Mac,

No, Mac Mini Server mid-2011. I'm going to be looking at building an ESXi hypervisor-based workstation soon, and therefore I also need a purely physical workstation that can be used in a crisis to access the hypervisor. The Mac Mini is ideal for that, I think, sufficiently powerful at only 12 watts idle. So I took three 22" 1920x1080 IPS monitors and stacked them, makes for a very cool way to be able to run Fusion in a small amount of desk space.

in which case I'll be happy to sell you a genuine Apple Extended Keyboard II.

No, those were pretty crap, unless you compare them to the current Mac keyboards, which are total crap.

I prefer a keyboard that when you hit somebody with it, they fall down and *stay* down. Model M. :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.