FreeNAS noob help with Plex -plexpass install

Nacman

Dabbler
Hi all, First post after building my first system. Specs are below.

I built this system for mainly 3 reasons;

Save recorder security camera video (Not yet implemented a system),
Serve up Plex Media (Have it running in a jail on 11.2 and accessible but not sharing anything yet),
Run my HomeSeer Home Automation server in a VM. ( Successful and stable on Win 7 x64).

I followed this guide as best I could (https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...to-install-plex-in-a-freenas-11-0-jail.19412/) as it was as close to 11.2 as I could find searching around.

Using the information contained in that thread I was able to manually install Plex -plexpass via the shell. I can access the Plex web interface fine as well. Then because I am a noob and the new GUI as it pertains to adding storage is different, I am stuck.

The way it is explained in the thread, I get lost in what I am trying to accomplish in the GUI.

I did add storage to the jail via "Mount Points" picking a source "dataset" outside of the jail called called "Movies" in this path /mnt/tank/PlexMediaServer/Movies and set the destination in /mnt/tank/iocage/jails/pms/root/movies ....However when I do that, the jail will not restart. Removing the mount point allows the jail to restart.

I think that is wrong (obviously it wont start) but I am too new to know why and what to do to fix it.

I can browse via a windows client to the dataset "PlexMediaServer and the child "Movies" without issue. I dropped one movie in there, but it doesn't show up in Plex.

I want to learn but I am hitting a brick wall. Probably older than most of you. lol....Probably has something to do with it.

Has anyone produced a good guide for install on 11.2 using the new GUI? or suggestions?

I am willing to post whatever I can to help you help me, but the shell is new to me. I am not too dense I cant follow instructions in it though.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Your destination in your mount point is wrong. You want the destination inside the jail not the mount point for the system.

Nacman

Dabbler
I did read that, but wasn’t sure if it needed to point to /root/Movies or just /Movies as the root is already assumed. It was too late for me to try last night, will try it later. One I do that, failing other errors, should plex pick up my movie once I scan for it?

Nacman

Dabbler
I tried changing the mount points to both /Movies and then /root/Movies

Jail still refuses to start with that mount point in there. I know I am probably missing a ticked box or something. The jail starts without a mount point.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
It's likely because you changed the jails permissions.

NasKar

Guru
I tried changing the mount points to both /Movies and then /root/Movies

Jail still refuses to start with that mount point in there. I know I am probably missing a ticked box or something. The jail starts without a mount point.
You need to create a directory like /mnt/tank/movies to store your movies outside the jail. Then to give plex access to that directory you mount the source /mnt/tank/movies to the destination /mnt/movies. Now in the jail the movies will be available at the destination. You then have to make sure that your plex pass jail has write permission to the data you mounted. Follow this post

Nacman

Dabbler
You need to create a directory like /mnt/tank/movies to store your movies outside the jail. Then to give plex access to that directory you mount the source /mnt/tank/movies to the destination /mnt/movies. Now in the jail the movies will be available at the destination. You then have to make sure that your plex pass jail has write permission to the data you mounted. Follow this post

I followed your post and followed the referenced post. Not all command in the reference post would work.

Using "Solution 2"

• Code:
      pw useradd -n USER -u UID -d /nonexistent -s /usr/sbin/nologin - WORKED
  • In the jail, change the user the plugin runs as, and change ownership of the data-directory.
    • Code:
      service PLUGIN onestop - WORKED
      chown -R USER:GROUP /var/db/PLUGIN FAILED - "No such location" or something to the effect.
      sysrc 'PLUGIN_user=USER' WORKED
      service PLUGIN start WORKED
But after chown command failed not sure if the one to follow is broken because of it.

This is frustrating.

Nacman

Dabbler
I have deleted plex plugin. Until I get a better guide or better instructions, I am tired of of trying for now.

Nacman

Dabbler
RESOLVED: I deleted the plugin a third time, reinstalled and instead of trying to use a user called plex, I just left it at root. Recreated the mount point and the movies showed up.

All is well.

apscherz

Cadet
I'm about to pull my hair out. I have had a 9.2 FreeNAS server for several years, and upgraded to a new server running 11.2 but can't get my new Plex server to locate the media.

Source: /mnt/Zinger_Data/Media
Destination: /mnt/Zinger_Data/iocage/jails/plex-plexpass/root/media

When I go to the plex management and add the library it doesn't see anything and I can't browse to it either. Any guidance is appreciated