FreeNAS MiniXL read speed went from 5-600MB/s to 100-150MB/S

Thompsob

Cadet
Yesterday my FreeNAS mini XL started reporting sequential read speeds in the 100-150 MB/S range in Crystal Disk Mark. Previously this test reported 500-600MB/s. I have 8 x 4 GB Seagate IronWolf drives (ST4000VN008 ) in a Z1 configuration. The newly reported sequential read speed make is sound like only drive is being read from.
My last good speed test was on Thursday 6/18 after I added a SSD read cache. Read cache is a Seagate Ironwolf 110 SSD (ZA480NM10001 )

Since then the changes I've made are listed below.

1. Upgraded to 11.3-US.2 from 11.3-US.1
2. Added 32 GB of RAM to the machine to bring the total to 64 GB of registered ECC. RAM is DDR 4 2400 (This was backed out as a test, but rolled back in after it did not fix the problem.)
3. Set Tuneables. (Both of these have been disabled to aid in troubleshooting.)
a. vfs.zfs.l2arc_write_boost - 400000000
b.vfs.zfs.l2arc_write_max - 400000000
4. Enabled LCAP on the FreeNAS server and Switch in expectation of adding more users later. (This has been rolled back to aid in troubleshooting)

System information:
1. Freenas Mini-XL standard Mobo, CPU, etc they provide.
2. Connection is using iSCSI from a Windows 10 desktop to the FreeNAS box.
3. 10 GB NIC in the FreeNAS server and in the Windows desktop.
4. Netgear XS712t 10gb switch used for connectivity.
a. The switch shows both computers as negotiated as 10 gb/s
5. Only one desktop and the FreeNAS box on the network. No internet connectivity or other connectivity.
6. BIOS has been flashed to the latest release.
7. Optimized values have been configured in the BIOS.

I did run a smartctl -t short on all of the HDDs last night and it reported no errors running the test on any of them. Additionally I scrubbed the drives overnight. My next steps are to restart the switch then delete the storage pool. Any ideas or additional troubleshooting help would be appreciated.

Speed Tests Side By Side.png

Thompsob

Cadet
Update on my thread, performance is back to normal.
When checking on the FreeNAS network adapter my MTU settings were no longer present.
After resetting them to 9000 performance has returned to baseline.