FreeNAS Mini Motherboard Clock Signal Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
iXsystems is committed to offering its customers the best storage solutions available on the market today. We have recently become aware of an issue with a component on the motherboard of the FreeNAS Mini and Mini XL that may lead to system failure. In most cases, the FreeNAS Mini will perform normally and may never experience a failure. If the affected component does fail, however, then the system will fail to boot. There is no risk of data loss if the affected component does fail.

Rest assured we’ve got you covered. We’ve been working with our vendor to identify a board-level fix that will provide customers with the stability they expect from their FreeNAS Mini. iXsystems is also pleased to announce that we are extending the warranty on the FreeNAS Mini motherboard. This warranty extension will apply to any second generation FreeNAS Mini or Mini XL manufactured before February 2017, giving a total of three (3) years of warranty coverage. Going forward, any FreeNAS Mini or FreeNAS Mini XL manufactured on or after February 2017 will not have this issue. For more information, please refer to the Knowledge Base article on the topic.

We stand behind the FreeNAS Mini and the FreeNAS Mini XL and will continue to support our customers. If you believe you have been affected by this issue, contact our customer service department at 1.408.943.4100 or send our customer support department an email at support@iXsystems.com. You can also leave a comment below.

Thank you for your loyalty as an iXsystems customer!

Last edited by a moderator:

DCR

Cadet
Hi.
First off I would like to thank you for addressing this issue.
I am a huge FreeNAS fan, using it in my own systems as well as client infrastructure...
Very happy to see you pro-actively getting in front of this, makes me feel good about recommending FreeNAS to clients!!

That being said, I have a client who purchased 2 maxed out FreeNAS Mini's right about 2 years ago.
Setup basic config, and then project got shelved.

Will this clock timer issue possibly occur the next time I boot them, or will it possibly occur only if they have been running for 18 months?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I think it's related to uptime, not realtime.

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
Hi.
First off I would like to thank you for addressing this issue.
I am a huge FreeNas fan, using it in my own systems as well as client infrastructure...
Very happy to see you pro-actively getting in front of this, makes me feel good about recommending FreeNas to clients!!

That being said, I have a client who purchased 2 maxed out FreeNas Mini's right about 2 years ago.
Setup basic config, and then project got shelved.

Will this clock timer issue possibly occur the next time I boot them, or will it possibly occur only if they have been running for 18 months?

This is more directly related to system uptime as Eric hinted at. It's also important to understand that this issue will not affect every FreeNAS Mini. The vast majority of FreeNAS Mini motherboards will keep plugging away with no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.