FreeNAS is writing continuously on my boot media, is this ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

-fun-

Contributor
FreeNAS is writing continuously on my boot media, is this ok?

Since I updated to the latest 9.10 stable version (yesterday) my FreeNAS box is continuously writing to the boot media. (I have two mirrored USB thumb drives.) According to the reporting graph this is about 200KB per minute on average. Until now this has summed up to an amount of 1 GB. Figures are identical for both mirrored drives. The free space has however not been reduced according to what's displayed in System | Boot.

Bildschirmfoto 2016-04-20 um 17.30.22.png

Until the Update there have never been any read or write accesses to the boot drives except for system updates. The system dataset is not located on the boot media.

I'm not happy with this. Continuously writing to USB media is probably significantly reducing the life span of these.
Is the write access ok with this release or is there a problem?

-fun-

-fun-

Contributor
Ah, I see. The next SU has only 9 issues left (from about 190) so can I expect this to happen soon? Would you recommend to set back to the previous 9.10 version due to this bug?

Btw. what's an "SU" anyway? Is this the equivalent of a minor bugfix release?

D

dlavigne

You can reboot into a previous boot environment, yes.

SU=software update

Not sure when the next one is scheduled for, the RE usually gives us a day or so headsup when it gets to the testing before pushing the next update stage.

-fun-

Contributor
Did that: Set back to previous environment 9.10-STABLE-201604140622 an did a reboot. Problem is gone. :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.