FreeNAS is inaccessible but Plug-Ins are still working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilt Brick

Dabbler
For some reason my FreeNAS keeps freezing but accessing Plex or Transmission works just fine. I can ping the FreeNAS IP address with a response but I can't access the webGUI or the network shares. I have email reporting but I don't know if that will help because it doesn't send anything after it crashes. Any ideas as to why this might be happening? Please let me know what info I can provide to help.

My setup is as follows:
SuperMicro X9SCi-LN4F (using onboard network and sata controllers)
Pentium G2030T
8GB Kingston ECC RAM
3x5TB WD Red's in Raid 5 equivalent
8GB USB boot drive
FreeNAS 11.0 - U4

I have 2 CIFS/SMB shares, Plex, Transmission, and Nextcloud running.

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
There is a sticky post about "Forum Guidelines" that tells some of the information we need from you before we can do anything but guess about your problem. You might want to take a moment and read it. It isn't that long. Then post back with some details of your hardware and how it is configured so we can make some educated guesses.
So far, it sounds suspiciously similar to what happens when the boot drive fails. Have you tried rebooting the system?

Gilt Brick

Dabbler
There is a sticky post about "Forum Guidelines" that tells some of the information we need from you before we can do anything but guess about your problem. You might want to take a moment and read it. It isn't that long. Then post back with some details of your hardware and how it is configured so we can make some educated guesses.
So far, it sounds suspiciously similar to what happens when the boot drive fails. Have you tried rebooting the system?

I've rebooted the system many times and the problem persists. The plug-ins used to hang too but lately they've been working fine and the main FreeNAS part fails. I'm going to try making a copy boot device and seeing if that helps. Is there a way to change the boot device from single drive to mirrored after installation? I've also updated the OP with my build specs. Thanks!

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
You can install to two drives at once during initial install or you can add a second drive as a mirror later through a menu in the GUI.
http://doc.freenas.org/11/install.html?highlight=boot pool#performing-the-installation
then look for: "Fig. 2.3.3 Selecting the Install Drive" and read the paragraph just after that.
You can upgrade a single drive boot pool to a mirror following the directions here:
http://doc.freenas.org/11/install.html?highlight=boot pool#upgrading-a-zfs-pool
I think that you will need to perform a fresh install on a new boot drive because there is damage to the drive you have and some modules of the operating system are not loading. If you have made a backup of the system config database, you can simple restore that into the new install and it will bring back all your settings. You will need to install the same version of FreeNAS that the Config DB was made with.

Gilt Brick

Dabbler

I posted this question earlier on the FreeNAS reddit and someone mentioned a CCB bug for the boot devices. After looking through the security output I found a CCB error message as well reading
"cd:umass-sim3:3:0:0 CAM status: CCB request completed with an error."

is this a bug?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I posted this question earlier on the FreeNAS reddit and someone mentioned a CCB bug for the boot devices. After looking through the security output I found a CCB error message as well reading
"cd:umass-sim3:3:0:0 CAM status: CCB request completed with an error."

is this a bug?
I have my doubts about reddit being a good source of information.

You could look for it: https://redmine.ixsystems.com/projects/freenas

If there was some problem with the system booting, I would think it would have been documented.

Status
Not open for further replies.