FreeNAS hanging on shutdown

atlantic

Explorer
Hi. I have a problem with FreeNAS hanging at shutdown (I'm using the GUI to initiate Shutdown). Here's the output:

Writing Entropy file:.
Writing early boot entropy file:.
<date> freenas init: timeout expired for /etc/rc.shutdown: Interrupted system call; going to single user mode
<date> freenas init: timeout expired for /etc/rc.shutdown: Interrupted system call; going to single user mode
<date> init: some processes would not die; ps axl advised

And then it just halts here until I power off the server.

I don't really know how to fix it or even check the system for corruption etc. I did a scrub on the boot USB and that came back OK.
The boot USB stick is mirrored to an identical one, and I've also saved the config to another machine for safety.

System:
FreeNAS 11.3-RELEASE
64GB Ram, Dell r720.

Last edited:

atlantic

Explorer
Can anyone help? Is there more info I need to supply?

Should I reinstall a fresh copy of Freenas on a new USB stick then import the config, or is the problem the config itself?

Yorick

Wizard
Which processes aren't dying? What does ps axl show you?

atlantic

Explorer
Hi Yorick. I don't know which are not dying, and I don't know what ps axl is. Here's a grab of the output (the SCSI errors are due a drive that needed reseating which I think is fixed, not related to the shutdown issue IIUC).

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-05-10 10.40.37.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-05-10 10.40.37.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 367
This happened to me but it was caused by my drive in where freenas was located the drive slid out and disconnected and i was going to shut it down but it hung on the same thing check your drives one of them might be bad.

atlantic

Explorer
This happened to me but it was caused by my drive in where freenas was located the drive slid out and disconnected and i was going to shut it down but it hung on the same thing check your drives one of them might be bad.

do you mean your system drive? Mine is on a USB stick inside the server, I’ll take look.

I had a power outage recently, could the drive be corrupted perhaps?

I think freenas has some sort of protection against that

Have you ever tried running it from a drive?
those provide more stability
i use a samsung ssd because spinning drives are unrelyable

atlantic

Explorer
I think freenas has some sort of protection against that

Have you ever tried running it from a drive?
those provide more stability
i use a samsung ssd because spinning drives are unrelyable

isnt an ssd and a usb drive the same thing though, aside from the interface - solid state? No I've only used pen drives.

Yorick

Wizard
isnt an ssd and a usb drive the same thing though

Nope. USB uses far cheaper memory components. They tend to overheat and die. More quickly so if USB3 instead of USB2, even more quickly so if inside a case instead of outside.

There is an option to put a SATA SSD M.2 42mm into a USB adapter and boot from that, some folk who are short on SATA connectors have had good success with that.

Rule of thumb: Always boot from SSD or SATADOM, never from USB stick. For some value of "never" - there are folk running USB2 sticks successfully for 5 years. For every one of those, there's an army of people whose USB boot sticks die, however.

atlantic

Explorer
ok did some digging, and ‘ps axl advised’ is telling me to try process spy, which i have used before but wasnt aware i could still interact with the server while it is hung like that. It doesnt respond via usb keyboard or via idrac.

Can i ssh in and use ps to find the errant process and kill via its pid?

atlantic

Explorer
Nope. USB uses far cheaper memory components. They tend to overheat and die. More quickly so if USB3 instead of USB2, even more quickly so if inside a case instead of outside.

There is an option to put a SATA SSD M.2 42mm into a USB adapter and boot from that, some folk who are short on SATA connectors have had good success with that.

Rule of thumb: Always boot from SSD or SATADOM, never from USB stick. For some value of "never" - there are folk running USB2 sticks successfully for 5 years. For every one of those, there's an army of people whose USB boot sticks die, however.

Ah i did not know that. Ok that could well be the issue, i think i have a spare sata port inside so could use an ssd.

am i right in thinking it should be as simple as installing a fresh Freenass to an ssd, boot it, import my saved config and reboot? Will it load my pools automagically or do i have to do it manually?

Yorick

Wizard
It's as simple as that and as long as you import your saved config, everything is automatic. If you are using encryption, be sure to save your encryption keys as well.

atlantic

Explorer
I'll give that a go, hopefully that will solve it.