Abnormal termination during software initated reboot or shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyp

Explorer
hey guys,

First time user, running FreeNAS-9.10-STABLE-201603252134 on the following system:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1231 v3
Motherboard: Supermicro X10SL7-F
RAM: 2 x Crucial 16GB Kit DDR3-1600 ECC UDIMM
HDD: 8 x 4 TB HGST Deskstar NAS Drive (in raidz2)
Flash Storage: InnoDisk 16GB SATADOM-MV 3ME

During each and every system reboot or shutdown, I'm getting the following console entries (also see attachment):

Code:
Shutting down local daemons:.
Stopping watchdogd.
wWaiting for PIDS: 1636bwd0: Failed to disable watchdog: 0x86.
90 second watchdog timeout expired.  Shutdown terminated.
wbwd0: Failed to disable watchdog: 0x88.
... freenas init: /bin/sh on /etc/rc.shutdown terminated abnormally,
 going to single user mode
... freenas init: /bin/sh on /etc/rc.shutdown terminated abnormally,
 going to single user mode

I've considered tweeking system parameters rcshutdown_timeout and kern.init_shutdown_timeout in Tuneables but this doesn't make much sense given that I'm not (yet) running any jails or plug-ins.

Supermicro watchdog has been disabled; in BIOS and JWD1 set to open (disabled).

What can I do to get a normal system reboot / shutdown?

Thanks.

Attachments

• reboot.jpg
    reboot.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 277
D

dlavigne

Interesting (sounds like a hardware/BIOS something). Anything else in /var/log/messages?

kyp

Explorer
Thanks for the reply dlavigne.

/var/log/messages looks pretty clean to me apart from a few already reported / "known" errors like "mDNSResponder: mDNS_Register_internal: ERROR!!".
I've also seen quite a flood of "dnssd_clientstub ConnectToServer: connect()" timeout errors during shutdown, maybe this is having an influence on the behaviour?

There is no DNS in my home network but have added an entry for the IP address of the system in the "Host name database" per the documentation.

Apr 9 ~08:55:33 - 09:14 is capturing a recent start-up and reboot.
I'm attaching the full messages log. If you or any other member could kindly take a quick look, I'd appreciate that.

I'm also a bit unclear on the failed to disable watchdog log entries.

Attachments

• messages.txt
    158.7 KB · Views: 354
D

dlavigne

Yeah, nothing sticks out... Will be interesting to see if a future update sorts this out.

D

dlavigne

Wouldn't hurt. If you do (at bugs.freenas.org) post the issue number here. The dev will need a debug with the bug report and you can create that using System -> Advanced -> Save Debug.

DiViDeR

Dabbler
I'm also a first time user with NO previous FreeBSD knowledge and almost identical hardware to the OP.

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1231 v3
Motherboard: Supermicro X10SL7-F (Latest Bios 3.oa)
RAM: 4 x Crucial 8GB DDR3-1600 ECC UDIMM
2 x 8Gb Sandisk Cruzer Force

Latest version of Freenas 9.10 installed to USB sticks. No HDDs attached yet. Tried both Watchdog settings in BIOS. Same error on shutdown

bwd0: Failed to disable watchdog: 0x87 ....(waits just over a minute)
wbwd0: Failed to disable watchdog: 0x86 .... then shuts down, stating abnormal termination.

kyp

Explorer
We'll have to wait for the next stable update release per related Bug #14537 ... unless you wish to try the nightly build?
If you try the nightly, let me know how you go.
Are you also getting watchdog alerts in the IPMI event log? - I'm occasionally getting watchdog alert entries even though I've disabled watchdog in BIOS and via jumper.

rogerh

Guru
We'll have to wait for the next stable update release per related Bug #14537 ... unless you wish to try the nightly build?
If you try the nightly, let me know how you go.
Are you also getting watchdog alerts in the IPMI event log? - I'm occasionally getting watchdog alert entries even though I've disabled watchdog in BIOS and via jumper.
That bug is apparently resolved in yesterday's update.

kyp

Explorer
Yep, I can also confirm bug is now fixed after applying 9.10-STABLE-201604181743.

Status
Not open for further replies.