FreeNas FTW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junaid Ahmed

Cadet
Hi there!

Been reading about FreeNAS for about 2 months, and have been thinking to upgrade my QNAP-259 Pro+ nas with something more expandable. I realized a lot later that I made a bad decision with buying a 2-drive NAS.

My first foray in Network Attached Storage was with Zyxel NSA-221, got it at a great steal at $89 about 2 years ago (even convinced a couple colleagues to get one). The device was great but the network through-put was horrible and took me a lot of hours just to get content on it, I was also disappointed to find that it used a File-System that was not HFS+ or NTFS (after all it was running some port of linux).

Then I began for the search of system would take over from Zyxel, I read about QNAP series of SOHO NAS and even compared to Synology. My biggest deciding factor in moving to QNAP was its ability to run Plex Media Server, of course once I had it all setup and running Plex performance when transcoding was up to par because the cpu was just a measly Atom (even though dual core). I finally just used the QNAP for storage and started running PMS off of my main machine.

About a few months ago I also learned about SABnzbd+, Sickbeard, CouchPotato and other services to automate really awesome things and even followed steps on getting those services setup on the QNAP (and they run just fine, although SickBeard is slow). I also liked the fact that I can run eSATA connected devices off of the QNAP which enabled me to increase my disk-space but without the safety net of being able to recover in an event of a device failure.

Hello FreeNAS. At the time of my considering the solutions I had run into freeNAS and had heard about it from colleagues but they didn't manage their freeNAS as actively as they did their emails, I looked and read but due to budget constrains found the cheapest solution and went with it.

Finally I gave in and started acquiring hardware that will give my data new home with FreeNAS and the security/recoverability of ZFS.

Thank you everyone for your insights and experiences. I'll post more on what I've acquired and where to go next in setting up my FreeNAS solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.