Freenas eating up my space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
After installing FreeNas and creating a ZFS volume from one of my Member disks (da0 18.0 TB) I am only seeing 16TB available.

Why is this? It doesn't matter what I do but for some reason 2TB of my space is being eaten up.

I am running the latest version of Freenas with two areca cards and 16 3TB drives.

Each card has a Raid 6 giving me 18TB per card.

Everything else seems to work fine but I am not comfortable with 2TB of disk space not being available.

Thank you,
Matthew

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Because FreeNAS isn't a lying marketingdroid at a HDD manufacturer. A so called "3TB" HDD is actually about 2.7TB.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Because you're reading wrong or maybe using an Apple product (since they tend to read out in 1000's as well). This is not a new problem. It's also not the first time it has been addressed here, but I'm too lazy to search for you. But basically if you have 8 3TB drives in RAID6, then you'd have 6 3TB drives worth of space, 3TB * 0.90 is 2.7TB, see link above, 2.7TB * 6 is 16.2TB, and if you have a complaint about being shortchanged, this isn't a FreeNAS problem, it's something that you should address to the hard drive manufacturers (presumably with as little success as others who have tried to complain/sue/etc).

Sorry for the bad news, FreeNAS is just stating the way it *is*.

Aw I see!

Thank you very much for your prompt responses! That means a lot to a new comer like myself.

This is very unfortunate but it is life I guess, next time I will do a little bit more research.

Thank you,
Matthew

jgreco

Resident Grinch
On re-reading that I sound a little irritated. It's not with you, it's with the drive manufacturers who have caused us all so much wasted time. Hazards of pounding out messages on a smartphone.

Status
Not open for further replies.