Freenas dying on me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retix11

Cadet
Hi guys.

I'm very new to FreeNas. I did a fair bit of research googling the freenas community and built a freenas with the following
components

Fractal Design R5 case
450watt power supply
4 x Crucial 8gb DDR3 - 32gb total (Ram was listed in Freenas forums as suitable for the below motherboard and vendor recommended as well)
Supermicro X10SL7-f
Intel Xeon E3-1220 3.1ghz
16gb Sandisk USB thumbdrive for Freenas software

I am currently using

2 x Western Digital 2.0tb green disks

and 2 x 1tb hard drives. One WD Blue and one older 'white WD'.

The motherboard has 8 x Sas ports and 6 x Sata ports. The drives are currently being used on the sata ports.

These disks are only a temporary storage solution as I will eventually transition to a full set of WD's reds as per recommendation.

I can successfully intall Freenas and have even been able to create a pool to the point I have begun to transfer data.

Then I start to run into problems.

Firstly the warning light is activated which displays the warning 'Firmware version 15 does not match driver version 16 for /dev/mps0'

I googled this and this appears to be something to do with the LSI SAS drivers from looking at this thread being incompatible with the current version of Freenas? The thread says Freenas should 'probably work' even though there is this error message.

https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/6678

I don't have a separate SAS card but I think its integrated onto the motherboard as it has SAS ports.

After Freenas is up and running for a while it becomes unresponsive while accessing the GUI through the browser.

I then check the actual freenas monitor and it displays the following

ada2:Cam Status: Ata status Error
ada2:Ata Status:41 DRDY ERR), error:40 (UNC)

and some other stuff as per screenshots.

I reboot the machine and Freenas 'boots' as per usual until it gets to the

'spa_load_impl:' where it hangs on spa_check_logs

and then starts displaying the same message as before and it won't 'boot'

Is the Firmware version 15 does not match driver version 16 for /dev/mps0' causing this?

Do I need to flash the onboard SAS drivers through the BIOS (I'm assuming that's how you do it)

Sorry if I sound a bit newbie...I am!

Thanks guys

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    612.6 KB · Views: 228
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    660.6 KB · Views: 220
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    626.3 KB · Views: 225
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    920.9 KB · Views: 202
  • spa check logs.JPG
    spa check logs.JPG
    734.4 KB · Views: 197

gpsguy

Retix11

Cadet
Thanks mate, sorry I have taken so long to get back on here. I couldn't access the Freenas Forums page and then I got busy with work.

Cheers - I checked the link and think I found the firmware I require at ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/Driver/SAS/LSI/2308/Firmware/IT/Previous%20Releases/

Do I need to download all 4 files from the link?

Name Size Date Modified
[parent directory]
IT.zip 619 kB 10/2/12, 12:00:00 AM
PH15-IT.zip 1.2 MB 8/1/13, 12:00:00 AM
PH16.0.1-IT.zip 1.4 MB 8/1/13, 12:00:00 AM
SMC2308T.nsh 146 B 11/9/12, 12:00:00 AM

I located the link posted inside that thread you directed me to (https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/supermicro-x10sl7-f.14105/).

I have pretty much just used consumer boards before this. Although I have flashed a few bios's and overclocked a a few cpu's this motherboard is a little less noobfriendly than I am used to and this is a bit more complex than what I'm used to tinkering with.

I located the instructions for flashing the firmware in the thread on page 6

***QUOTE***

jyavenard, Nov 8, 2013

---
Some notes for the users of this board, hopefully this will help others.

To flash the LSI 2308 into IT mode I used the following firmware:
ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/Driver/SAS/LSI/2308/Firmware/IT/

First you need to get the LSI SAS address.
Restart the board; when you see the LSI prompt: "LSI Corporation ... "
Press Control-C on the keyboard (I did it all via IPMI), press Ctrl-C successively until you see "starting configuration utility" because it's quite easy to miss

Once you're in there, press Enter this will show the SAS address
it looks like:

500304800:70a8b00

You need the last 9 digits: so here that would be: 0070a8b00

The DOS instructions do *NOT* work on this board, you must use the UEFI method.
I disconnected all the disks connected to the LSI out of habit for any flashing. Not sure that's required, but I did it just to be safe.

Format a USB stick in FAT32; copy the content of the UEFI folder unto it
The restart the X10SL7-F, press F11 when prompted and select the built-in UEFI option.

Once you're on the UEFI prompt, mount the disk. The list of available disk volume will be shown on the screen:
for me it was fs1, so mount it:

mount fs1:
Then I selected that device:

fs1:
follow the instruction in the SMC2308IT_FW_Flash_Instruction_091012 file:

run SMC2308T.nsh (if you've copied the UEFI folder and not its content from the archive above, do
cd UEFI
first)

SMC2308T.nsh
The goes on for a little while, and right at the end you're prompted for the 9 digits, enter them and press ENTER.

Reboot... that's it... the card is in IT mode now.

***END QUOTE***

I can get the last nine digits as stated above so that bits sweet...just a couple of questions please

Q1 When he says copy the content of the UEFI folder into it - does he mean those four files? Do they need to be unzipped?

(Name Size Date Modified
[parent directory]
IT.zip 619 kB 10/2/12, 12:00:00 AM
PH15-IT.zip 1.2 MB 8/1/13, 12:00:00 AM
PH16.0.1-IT.zip 1.4 MB 8/1/13, 12:00:00 AM
SMC2308T.nsh 146 B 11/9/12, 12:00:00 AM)

Q.2 I have got to the UFEI prompt which looks similar to an old dos prompt. It has some stuff above with blk 2 - 7 desribing 'alias' Hard disks and then some block devices which are blk 8 - 9 and a,b,c

It then says press esc in 1 second to skip startup.nsh and below that has in yellow

shell>_

I presume where above where jyavenard stated that the dos method does not work that there are some specific UEFI commands to use rather than just simple dos commands? I have typed help in the UEFI and located that mount is actually a command - do i type 'mount' and then just the device name where the usb is?

Q.3 If it is the files above that I am to copy onto a USB Is this what I then mount in the UEFI? Is his 'fs1' my Blk's?

Q.4 How do I 'select' the device once mounted - will it mount it as a drive e.g b:? what do I type?

Sorry I know this is really basic stuff I just don't want to mess this up and brick my board or something.

Cheers!

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Yeah, you do need to mount the device. See

ftp://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/efi_whitepaper.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.