FreeNAS doesn't like my graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

lou789

Cadet
I've got a HP ML10 g9 with onboard displayport.

However, I need to use HDMI, so bought an asus en5450 graphics card. Card works well, with windows, and linux, but for some reason FreeNAS won't install with card inserted.

I remove the card, and FreeNAS installs. I put card back in, and FreeNAS boots with same errors.

Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:

danb35

Hall of Famer
Any ideas?
Yeah, take the card out and get a DisplayPort-HDMI adapter instead (for those odd moments when you'll need a monitor, which should be few and far between).

Or, at a minimum, tell us what the "same errors" are--we don't have crystal balls.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
FreeNAS is based on FreeBSD and graphics expansion cards are not supported to any great degree.
Why not pick up an adapter to turn your DP port on the mobo to HDMI for your display,
I'm pretty sure they make those...

lou789

Cadet
I tried a dp to hdmi adaptor and it didn't work, that's why I bought the gfx card.

I assumed the card would be compatible with freenas.

w0YWjKh.jpg

danb35

Hall of Famer
I doubt it has anything to do with your problem, but you don't have enough RAM in the machine--the minimum is 8 GB.

Again, once the system is installed (which you say you've already done), you don't really need a monitor at all. The only thing you'd need it for is to get the system's IP address, which you can also get from the DHCP status page on your router. Once you have that, the rest can be configured using the web GUI and/or the shell (either through the web GUI, or better via SSH).

lou789

Cadet
I doubt it has anything to do with your problem, but you don't have enough RAM in the machine--the minimum is 8 GB..

Thanks for the help.

Ive got some more ram on order....

Well, I dont need a dedicated FreeNAS box, so I want to dual boot with a monitor. But stupid motherboard doesn't have any built in hdmi ports only a displayport, and a genuine HP displayport to hdmi adaptor isn't compatible.

I'm going to try booting FreeBSD, and if it doesn't work buy a diff gfx card.

danb35

Hall of Famer
FreeNAS is based on FreeBSD and graphics expansion cards are not supported to any great degree.
Not "to any great degree", perhaps, but any OS should be able to give you a text display with pretty much any video card.

I know @gpsguy has played with one of these machines; maybe he has some more insight on the video situation.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I tried a dp to hdmi adaptor and it didn't work, that's why I bought the gfx card.
Then you got a broken or incompatible one. Any of the current crop of 15 buck adapters on Amazon should work.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
HP displayport to hdmi adaptor
Sounds like a passive adapter which only works with DP++ ports, which are very rare these days. Active adapters have completely replaced passive adapters.

lou789

Cadet
Sounds like a passive adapter which only works with DP++ ports, which are very rare these days. Active adapters have completely replaced passive adapters.

I ordered the recommended hpe adaptor, as stated on their website.

http://h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c05226637
DisplayPort To HDMI 1.4 Adapter: HP P/N: K2K92AA

It didn't work, and navigating the hp website and going through support to get it returned proved a nightmare, and after a week I gave up. So I don't know if its faulty or incompatible. I would try a different brand of adaptor, but I don't know what to buy.

freebsd doesn't like the gfx card either..
I'm going to try an nvidia card, if not buy a new motherboard.

gpsguy

I was going to refer you to the same document.

I ordered the recommended hpe adaptor, as stated on their website.

Most of my monitors use VGA or DVI. So, I ended up buying HP's DP -> VGA adapter. A little pricey, but back in March I didn't want to take a gamble with another brand.

lou789

Cadet
I was going to refer you to the same document.

Most of my monitors use VGA or DVI. So, I ended up buying HP's DP -> VGA adapter. A little pricey, but back in March I didn't want to take a gamble with another brand.

Thanks.

I tried some other gfx cards, and FreeBSD doesn't like any of them.... Even if FreeBSD support says they are compatible.

Also, the weird thing is the back of the server says DP++ which I thought would work with both passive and active adaptors. I guess its just a printing mistake, and only active adaptors work.

I'm going to order another adapter this time from amazon. HP and HPE customer support is terrible, and returning products ordered from hp is a nightmare.... Hopefully the first hp adapter was faulty, and this one will work. I'd rather use an adaptor, than an additional gfx card anyway.

Stux

MVP
Thanks.

I tried some other gfx cards, and freebsd doesn't like any of them.... Even if freebsd support says they are compatible.

Also, the weird thing is the back of the server says DP++ which I thought would work with both passive and active adaptors. I guess its just a printing mistake, and only active adaptors work.

I'm going to order another adapter this time from amazon. HP and HPE customer support is terrible, and returning products ordered from hp is a nightmare.... Hopefully the first hp adapter was faulty, and this one will work. I'd rather use an adaptor, than an additional gfx card anyway.

Of course, the DP port could be faulty....

You should let HP support work it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.