FreeNAS crashes (CIFS) copying file from it's own share to another CIFS share

Status
Not open for further replies.

moppidoo

Cadet
I have recently encountered the issue that FreeNAS is crashing in the following manner described above:
copying files large or small, usually dies within a minute, this include unzipping archives within the share itself.

and it always takes two steps, 1st try, it will lose share but restore the share and connection within seconds, and if you do the copy trick again, it will then completely crash and must be resolved with hard reset of my freenas machine.

before it crashes, I can see a message from the console saying the interface re0 is UP then the nas unit will froze to oblivion.

versions with this issue. 9.2.x.x apparently seems to all cause this issue.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Please post your system specs (See my signature as an example).
In most cases, hardware can cause crashes like you describe.
Does your hardware meet FreeNAS minimum requirements?

gpsguy

Interface re0 is a Realtek NIC. Start by replacing it with a Intel Pro/1000. An OEM version costs ~$30 USD.

moppidoo

Cadet
As much as I can remember, below are the specs.
Asrock Z77 Extreme4-M | Intel Pentium G850 | 16GB Kingston Value RAM Non-ECC | Mixture of 18 Disks into 3 RAID Z2 volumes (6 via Intel ICH, 4 via Asmedia e-SATA with port multiplier external 4 bay enclosure), 8 via OEM LSI chip 3081E-R 1068E based HBA | Seasonic M12II-750w PSU | FreeNAS 9.2.1.7 RELEASE-x64

Volumes as per above:
Volume 1: 3WD Greens + 1 SG = 4x1.5GB (esata)
Volume 2: 6 Hitachi 2TB (Intel ICH)
Volume 3: 4xWD Greens + 4x SG ST2000DM (LSI chipped HBA)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Nice.. desktop hardware... exactly...

moppidoo

Cadet
yes sir, they are desktop hardware and I have to admit, by far worse than pretty much all the hardware listed in your recommendation post.

I have to say though that a few years back, FreeNAS appealed to me as a cheap and free alternative for a home built NAS, I'm almost the sole user of this NAS apart from serving files to a few household mobile devices on a less than regular basis few times a week. It's sole purpose is to serve as a NAS for my personal use with the choice of excellent redundancy while I don't need to worry about old HDD and hardwares piling up in the household, and I was under the impression that this is also one of the attractions and appeal that FreeNAS made itself to many of the home guru (wannabes) like myself.

No offense but if the above feature of copying from its own share to itself freezes FreeNAS was due to the cause that I did not have top of the range enterprise / enthusiast hardware, I'd be disappointed to say that I should brace myself for a huge migration preparation in the near future.

gpsguy

Have you tested copying files from volume 2 to volume 3, from the FreeNAS shell? If this works, it's further evidence that you should replace the NIC.

Another issue is your use of the "Asmedia e-SATA with port multiplier ...". These have been known to cause serious issues for FreeNAS users. You'd be better off getting a larger case to accomodate your drives and dumping the port multiplier and external enclosure.

If your copying problems are to/from volume 1, that's par for the course.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, you should brace yourself for a migration then. FreeNAS of today is not the FreeNAS of 4 years ago. Two totally different projects that only share a name. The current project is targeted at enterprise-class storage solutions and is NOT designed for yester-years hardware.

While you can sit and argue about what it was, that's not what it is. So you should either sit down and familiarize yourself with the "new" FreeNAS or, as you put it, prepare for a migration.

Personally, I don't care what a particular person's reason is for using hardware. I've heard it all from "I live in a place that's about as remote as living at the south pole" to "it was spare" to "i'm a hungry starving college student that needs storage". The bottom line is my main responsibility here is to get people to buy hardware that will not cause data loss, will be reliable, and will make them happy with their purchases without breaking the entire bank. All of our recommended hardware pretty much follows those 3 simple rules. Breaking the bank is definitely always debatable and it's not a debate that anyone will win. We've picked the most reasonably cost ideas out of what is available. Heck, we even tell you to go to ebay and buy it there to save yourself $150 or so off the retail price!

Anyway, to end my comments in this thread, you need to stop and do some more reading. Besides your obvious choice for hardware that isn't anything we'd recommend for a motherboard, CPU, and RAM a port multiplier is just outright stupid crazy. PMs (Port Multipliers) are a laughing joke and anyone that cares about their data would never use one in a million years. Just use our forum search feature and look at what has been said about them. Look at the poor soul that built one of those Backblaze chassis 2 years ago with PMs and lost 3 pools before tearing the $8000 chassis apart so he could repurpose a few of the parts because he was tired of the PMs killing his data.

Sorry, but unless your goal was to see how quickly you can destroy your data, you missed the mark. Give our FreeNAS documentation, my noobie guide, and our stickies a read. They were literally written in blood, sweat, and tears of users before you that lost their pools (sometimes their marriages too) as a result of poor decisions.

I don't harp on people's poor choices anymore. If they want to do it, go for it. I won't lose sleep when you're another one of those "my pool won't mount" threads and you're begging me to help you and I tell you that you should just kiss the data goodbye because it's gone. I do shake my head in disgust because I know it's coming, and it's never pretty.

moppidoo

Cadet
Have you tested copying files from volume 2 to volume 3, from the FreeNAS shell? If this works, it's further evidence that you should replace the NIC.

Another issue is your use of the "Asmedia e-SATA with port multiplier ...". These have been known to cause serious issues for FreeNAS users. You'd be better off getting a larger case to accomodate your drives and dumping the port multiplier and external enclosure.

If your copying problems are to/from volume 1, that's par for the course.

Thank you gpsguy, it does seem that local file copies across volumes are not affected after a few runs last night, I did not think of that but indeed as the NAS is operated on a headless basis and I just initiate file operations mainly through a network computer. It's definitely looks like the NIC is the culprit here, it'll actually take some time for me to get an Intel NIC due to local retail stores don't usually store them (not even the desktop ones) but will see how it goes. I will keep an eye on the eSATA enclosure though but it seems like it was not the cause of my current issue.

moppi

Hi-Liter

Explorer
Well, you should brace yourself for a migration then. FreeNAS of today is not the FreeNAS of 4 years ago. Two totally different projects that only share a name. The current project is targeted at enterprise-class storage solutions and is NOT designed for yester-years hardware.
Ohh, so that's why there is a torrent client and tons of media streaming software included. I can see how this would discourage any home user from installing FreeNAS!

Seriously, I like FreeNAS and I like that it is OpenSource. But let's not forget that the FreeNAS (or the hardware, maintenance or whatever - some one is making money of it - and that's good) which is sold to enterprises probably wouldn't be so mature if it wasn't for all the home users playing beta testers and making sure features work before some company is willing to pay for them.

So probably it is time to get of that high (-end hardware) horse and starting to be a tiny bit nicer to people.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah, don't hold your breath. 9.3 is going to be more forceful with RAM needs. If you don't have 8GB of RAM on bootup it's going to stop the bootup and make you press a key to continue. In essence we are tired of dealing with people that don't meet the minimum requirements and put in tickets for bugs that are solely because processes are being terminated or not starting due to insufficient RAM. It's a serious problem and just has to be addressed. We've had so many people lose data over insufficient RAM that it is really irresponsible on our part to not put in some kind of warning or otherwise when you don't meet them.

This may be upsetting, but Windows won't even boot nor will it let you install it if you don't meet the minimum requirements. So we're being nice compared to them.

Hi-Liter,

Many of those are not maintained by iX, so you can't really make that argument. In fact iX technically owns less than 1/3 of the PBIs that you have available.

But you are correct that FreeNAS definitely helps TrueNAS be more valuable. Both because of code fixes due to the larger userbase but also because it's a stepping stone for users to use FreeNAS and then recommend TrueNAS at work.

moppidoo

Cadet
Just an update, I got my hands on a Intel EXPI9301CT NIC today, replaced the onboard Realtek with this one right after. did a few tests and the problems that I have experienced seemed to have now gone away.

Thanks again to gpsguy's prompt suggestion and pointing out in the right direction for me to find resolutions to the issue mentioned herein.

Moppi

gpsguy

Glad to hear that the problem has been resolved.

Sent from my phone

Status
Not open for further replies.