FreeNAS Core i3 + 8GB RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnDoe

Cadet
Hi all,

could you please check my hardware setup?

I ordered the following and think that this setup is ok but i'm interrested in your oppinion.

I plan to use 5 to 15 2TB HDDs in 1 to 3 RAID-Z1 arrays. (5 HDDs each array)

400W Enermax LibertyEco II 80+ Modular

Intel Core i3 2100T 2x 2.50GHz So.1155 BOX

Asus P8H67-M PRO H67 Sockel 1155 MATX Rev.3

4GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3-1333 DIMM CL9 Single

4GB Transcend IDE Flash Modul TS4GDOM40V-S Module IDE MLC

thx,
John

Tekkie

Patron
Should be fine just make sure you get a *good* network card as well, without it you may find your performance to be below your expectations.

marcusmarcus

Explorer
How are you going to be using your FreeNAS setup?
I just use mine for backing up documents, pictures, home videos, and movies. I stream the movies to my HTPC running XBMC and sometimes to my tablet. My setup works great for me, I can actually stream movies to my tablet, my HTPC, and 3 other computers with out a hiccup in any of the videos (the videos are all standard definition, no high def videos). If you are going to be using it in a similar way, your hardware setup should be more than enough to handle it.

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi JohnDoe,

More RAM. Cheap as the stuff is, there's no reason not to get at least 8GB.

-Will

JohnDoe

Cadet
Hi all,

thank you very much for your replies. I'm glad to hear that the components are OK.

I want to use my FreeNAS box in an similar manner like marcusmarcus.

I'm thinking about to order some more RAM. But survive is right, it's really cheap...

...and I will order a good network card. Can you recommand a network card? It should support WOL.

Llama

Cadet
Hey all, first post on the go...

I would like to ask if it's really that important with that much RAM. Yes it's cheap. Good to be prepared for the future etc.
I have no clue if a NAS buffers a lot but I've never seen a normal PC come close to using 8GB with games, movies (1080p) or moive/picture editing.
Wouldn't the HDD or CPU choke up long before you would really need that 4-8GB ?
Also, I believe that more RAM means more used energy and added heat, maybe not much but still for nothing...

/Llama

Tekkie

Patron
@Llama

FreeNAS with ZFS will use all the 8GB of RAM that my system has in no time, search the web and read up on ZFS and you'll know more on why that is so.

Llama

Cadet
@Tekkie

Thanks for the reply and for putting some focus on the file system. I've read some and it looks very nice indeed. Just need to read a bit more about pros/cons and choice of hardware.

Tekkie

Patron
Almost any hardware will do, people have INTeL Atom based system (limited to 4GB RAM) or the new AMD APU e350 (8GB RAM), also when building a system with many drives chances go up of you loosing one keep that in mind.

HolyK

Ninja Turtle
Please give us some info. CIFS speed transfers//processor load, power consumption, ... etc.

I'm planning to build my new NAS, but i stil don't know .... should i go for E350 or i3 (2100T) ...

Status
Not open for further replies.