BUILD FreeNas + bhyve

Status
Not open for further replies.

acoustician

Dabbler
Usage
  • Server for me, NAS(FreeNAS as hypervisor) for family.
  • Plex + SMB + transmission + backups
Build
Question: What do you think of my build?

Last edited:

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Seems okay, but you'll run of disk space very quickly with only 2 x 1TB drives.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Your gameplan suggests that you'll be using the LSI 9211-8i in IR mode to provide a redundant datastore for ESXi.

In that case, you only have a single 1TB virtual disk available to the system, and there's really no value to FreeNAS on such a platform as you need redundancy to make that work. The redundancy would mean you'd need to make something like two 400GB vmdk's and mirror them together.

acoustician

Dabbler
Your gameplan suggests that you'll be using the LSI 9211-8i in IR mode to provide a redundant datastore for ESXi.

In that case, you only have a single 1TB virtual disk available to the system, and there's really no value to FreeNAS on such a platform as you need redundancy to make that work. The redundancy would mean you'd need to make something like two 400GB vmdk's and mirror them together.
i'm going to use LSI 9211-8i in IT mode with 2 disks in mirror mode and buy 6x6 TB disks for RAIDZ2 later

acoustician

Dabbler
Then what's the purpose of the 9211-8i? Why not just use the system board?
to let FreeNAS use disk drives directly via passthrough
i read that i cant do this with onboard controller
or there is the easier way to make FreeNAS work as VM?

Last edited:

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
to let FreeNAS use disk drives directly via passthrough
i read that i cant do this with onboard controller
or there is the easier way to make FreeNAS work as VM?
Ah! You didn't tell us you were going to virtualize FreeNAS on VMware! Yes, your approach -- passing an HBA through to the FreeNAS VM via VT-d -- is the best way to do this.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Ah! You didn't tell us you were going to virtualize FreeNAS on VMware! Yes, your approach -- passing an HBA through to the FreeNAS VM via VT-d -- is the best way to do this.

Silly me, I missed that he had a boot SSD. You kinda burn out after awhile staring at these things. Sigh. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.