FreeNAS Beginner saying hi.

KeithW

Dabbler
Hi All,

I have just migrated over from OMV and several Linux VMs as App server to FreeNAS. So far my experience has been good though I am having a few issues getting everything working the way I want but am leaning as I go.

Keith

Heracles

Wizard
Hi Keith,

Welcome to the FreeNAS community.

Know that as powerful FreeNAS can be, it also means that you can shoot yourself in the foot with a bigger gun. Better to take a maximum of time planing and trying in a test environment where you are ready to loose everything than learning the hard way and loosing your data for real.

As a first step, you can post a description of your setup. Typical errors are the use of RaidZ1, not enough RAM, running FreeNAS as a VM without all the required precautions and activation of features that are more problems than solutions like deduplication.

Enjoy your setup,

KeithW

Dabbler
Hi Keith,

Welcome to the FreeNAS community.

Know that as powerful FreeNAS can be, it also means that you can shoot yourself in the foot with a bigger gun. Better to take a maximum of time planing and trying in a test environment where you are ready to loose everything than learning the hard way and loosing your data for real.

As a first step, you can post a description of your setup. Typical errors are the use of RaidZ1, not enough RAM, running FreeNAS as a VM without all the required precautions and activation of features that are more problems than solutions like deduplication.

Enjoy your setup,

Oh I have the NAS up and running fine, I have everything backed up on another system until I am happy with my FreeNAS setup.

I am running on consumer hardware which is frowned upon but it is working fine as far as that goes. I am searching for some server hardware on ebay which I will migrate to if and when I feel comfortable with FreeNAS

My current hardware is

Intel i7 4790
16GB DDR3 non-ecc
MSI B85I ITX Motherboard
8 x Seagate Ironwolf 4TB NAS hdd's
Dell PERC 310 Flashed to IT Mode
Silverstone CS380 Case
FreeNAS-11.2-U2

I have 2 HDD's Mirrored and for my "Important" data and 6 HDD's in Raidz for my transient and unimportant data. The Mirrored Data is pretty static and is backed up elsewhere.

My main issue is trying to get OpenVPN in a Jail working as a gateway for other Jails. I have posted in another thread.

Thanks for the Welcome.