freenas and windows 10 VM

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpherbst

Dabbler
I plan on running freenas primarily as my file server and windows 10 VM for plex, couchpotato, torrent downloader. I know there are jails for all those but they've been broken on me too many times and permissions are always tough on a noob like me. So I was thinking of doing the VM (the hard part will be installing the VM I bet) but once its installed it will be a breeze. My question is how should I allocate ram and cpu's.

cpu: xeon 1220v3 4 cores 4 threads
memory: 16gb ecc ram
hard drives: 3x8TB i believe in raidz1

i have videos with possible up to 3 1080p streams at once.

I guess my two questions for cpu is 2/2 or 1/3 3 being the windows 10 VM? and ram should I allocate 4 gb ram to vm leaving 12gb for freenas?

chrisada

Explorer
The 1220v3 single thread passmark score is about 1900. That is roughly when you need for one 1080p transcoding with Plex.

Of all 3 concurrent streams need transcoding, you will need 3 cores allocated. I bet for most time of day the number of stream is 0 or 1, so personally I won't give the VM 3 of 4 cores. Maybe 2. This is why people likes jails.

For RAM, maybe start with 4GB for the VM. Although I'm guessing you will need 6 or 8 for it to run smoothly. Which might leave a bit too little for FreeNAS with 24TB raw storage.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

bpherbst

Dabbler
Thanks for the reply. It sounds like I'm short on ram and cpu power I can throw in a 1245v3 which is a 4 core 8 thread. Does that change things at all?

Last edited:

kdragon75

Wizard
Never give a VM the number of physical cores you have in a system or half the number of physical cores in a dual CPU system. Performance will tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.