Status
Not open for further replies.

Inacio Alves

Dabbler
Hello to all,

I'm trying to setup this scenario:
infra.jpeg

The goals:
  1. Setup the FreeNAS to use the Samba as user DB. This is almost ok, unfortunately the user list not appears in the drop-down menus (but using the /usr/local/www/freenasUI/tools/cachetool.py [expire|fill] the users are updated).
  2. Setup the home directory in the clients (ellipsed PCs) in such mode that each user has a DataSet in the FreeNAS (I having problems with permissions). I will use NFS to Linux and Folder Redirection to Windows.
  3. Setup iSCSI or NFS share to XenServer (trying solve 2 before) VM SR.
If someone just try or get success in this scenario, please help me with tutorials, howtos or other things.

If someone needs more informations just ask me that I will try provide as I can.

Best regards.

Robert Smith

Patron
Should work. It would be nice to have a separate network connection (direct cable should work) to the virtualization box.

And do not share the same dataset over more than one acess method. In other words, have separate datasets for Samba and NFS shares.

When done right, iSCSI should perform better than NFS for VM storage.

Samba separate user shares---you can fine-tune which users have read/write access in extra options for each share.

Inacio Alves

Dabbler
Thanks for suggestions

Should work. It would be nice to have a separate network connection (direct cable should work) to the virtualization box.
Good. I don't had think about this. I will try it and compare it with switch connected version.

And do not share the same dataset over more than one acess method. In other words, have separate datasets for Samba and NFS shares.
Our storage will be in an University, and the students work with Windows and Linux. So, we can write an Acceptable Use Policy where the users compromise to not log in simultaneos systems (Windows/Linux). I had perform some tests (using just Samba, no FreeNAS, with NFS and CIFS) and seemed works fine. Nevertheless, I will consider your suggestion.
Initially, we will perform some kind (not defined yet) of tests, and if problems are detected we will separete the shares.

When done right, iSCSI should perform better than NFS for VM storage.
It's just I think. :D

Samba separate user shares---you can fine-tune which users have read/write access in extra options for each share.
Because the most usage is in Linux enviroment, maybe we will tune just to NFS.

Robert Smith

Patron
Configuring user permissions in share settings is fine for a handful of users. University? No, have the directory control that. Not sure how to create datasets for new users automatically (if that is a requirement); theoretically that is where FreeNAS API programming could help.

SAMBA should be ok on its own. Do not point SAMBA and NFS to the same files. Pick one or the other.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.