FreeNAS 9.X, ZFSD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BloodyIron

Contributor
Since I cannot find anything newer than January on this topic, does the newer versions of FreeNAS (9.0, 9.1, etc) include ZFSD support? Can we actually hot swap drives now and/or get near real-time info on drive changes?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Nope. zfsd was supposed to be in FreeBSD 8, then promised for FreeBSD 9. Currently the FreeBSD developers are saying it will be in 10. Until its added to FreeBSD it naturally won't be in FreeNAS.

BloodyIron

Contributor
Dammit! I thought it was added to FreeBSD 9. Well, thanks for the clear answer. Let's hope they get it going in 10!

Oh and do you know if FreeNAS 9.1 has a work-around for this? I haven't tested on the new version yet. I'm seeing some notes about it in the release notes, but I don't know if I'm reading what I want to see and not what is actually there :P

Whattteva

Wizard
Unless you're running enterprise servers that absolutely can't have any downtime whatsoever. I don't see why you would risk swapping your drives live anyway.
Swapping drives take like 3 to 5 minutes of downtime max, hardly a lengthy process.
If you value your data, I would go through as many possible precautions to safeguard it.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Unless you're running enterprise servers that absolutely can't have any downtime whatsoever. I don't see why you would risk swapping your drives live anyway.
Swapping drives take like 3 to 5 minutes of downtime max, hardly a lengthy process.
If you value your data, I would go through as many possible precautions to safeguard it.

Agreed. Even while I have "hot swappable" hardware, not all hardware and drivers actually work with hotswap properly in FreeBSD. Shutting down for the disk swap is a very wise precaution. It also allows you to verify by disk serial number that you are pulling the correct disk. Nothing ruins a Friday afternoon like trying to do a disk replacement and then realizing you've inadvertently failed a second disk by unplugging the wrong one.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.