FreeNAS 9.3 -- locked out of Plex web UI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuidNYC

Cadet
FIXED -- I will provide my solution here and preserve my original message below in case it helps someone else:

Solution: I logged into the jail from a shell session, and edited the file /usr/pbi/plexmediaserver-amd64/plexdata/Plex Media Server/Preferences.xml and disabled the IPv6 attribute within the Preferences element. Then I restarted the server with /usr/local/etc/rc.d/plexmediaserver restart. Subsequently the web UI came up.

----------------------------------

Sorry if this is basic, but I've searched here and online and haven't had any luck with my situation.

I've got a relatively new install of FreeNAS 9.3, and I installed the Plex plugin to manage media files. I got through that whole process fine and had it working 100% (I tested access to the Plex media database and had it streaming to another PC on my home network).

Then when I was reviewing the configuration in FreeNAS, I got concerned that the default settings were basically giving Plex an arbitrary static IP mapping within the DHCP pool / assignment range that was being used by my router. So I tried changing the settings to use DHCP.

In the process of changing these settings it seems I somehow broke the web interface for managing the Plex Media Server plugin. Now, when I use the "click here to access" function for the plugin, the page fails to load, whereas it worked perfectly before. I get an "ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED" in Chrome.

The Plex jail and Plex Media Server plugin are running. The URL used for the web UI corresponds to the IP assigned to the jail. I can ping that IP and get a response. But the web interface refuses to load. And access via the Plex Home Theater app on the other PC is also down.

I have tried everything I can think of -- I switched from DHCP back to static IP assignment, with the same results. I have rebooted the system several times. I also installed two additional plugins (Transmission and SickBeard), and they seem to have the same problem. They are installed and running in FreeNAS, but when I click to access their web UIs, the pages fail to load.

Any ideas on what to do?

Last edited by a moderator:

SlackerDude

Explorer
FIXED -- I will provide my solution here and preserve my original message below in case it helps someone else:

Solution: I logged into the jail from a shell session, and edited the file "/usr/pbi/plexmediaserver-amd64/plexdata/Plex Media Server/Preferences.xml" and disabled the IPv6 attribute within the Preferences element. Then I restarted the server with "/usr/local/etc/rc.d/plexmediaserver restart". Subsequently the web UI came up.

Your solution worked a charm for me. I've had this happen to me at random times, and each time I ended up just installing another instance of the plugin.

JoeB

Contributor
HI- How do you edit a file in the shell? I cant find a way to do that.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
HI- How do you edit a file in the shell? I cant find a way to do that.
you execute an editor. vi or ee come with freebsd jails by default.
Code:
ee /path/to/file

Mad Max

Cadet
Ok forgive me if I'm an idiot but I have been tearing my hair out trying to get access to my PMS after activating IPV6 by mistake and I've been trying to apply your fix but I can't locate the folder with preferences.xml.
When I do ls to list the folders in /usr/pbi/plexmediaserver-amd64/ , there is no plexdata folder....
Here is what I see :

.auto-external-links control.conf libexec
.headerdir control.py man
.oauth default.png plexmediaserverUI
.pbi-gids etc sbin
.pbi-hash-list freenas share
.pbi-uids include tests
.sbin info www
bin lib
control libdata

Any help would be appreciated !

Thanks,
Max

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Ok forgive me if I'm an idiot but I have been tearing my hair out trying to get access to my PMS after activating IPV6 by mistake and I've been trying to apply your fix but I can't locate the folder with preferences.xml.
When I do ls to list the folders in /usr/pbi/plexmediaserver-amd64/ , there is no plexdata folder....
Here is what I see :

.auto-external-links control.conf libexec
.headerdir control.py man
.oauth default.png plexmediaserverUI
.pbi-gids etc sbin
.pbi-hash-list freenas share
.pbi-uids include tests
.sbin info www
bin lib
control libdata

Any help would be appreciated !

Thanks,
Max
I moved it to /var/db/plexdata

Mad Max

Cadet
Thanks for the amazingly fast response !
Now that I've opened this Preferences.xml file, I still have a problem...

I can't find anything about the Ipv6 enable in there.
Here's what I see :

<Preferences AnonymousMachineIdentifier="508fe964-1f7b-41d7-94d1-42312342c2f4" M
achineIdentifier="c02a1fa7-d331-4c38-ba0d-2329353514b3" MetricsEpoch="1" Process
edMachineIdentifier="1c4621fe5220de4dc1d2af14876dc4828f3d531d" disableRemoteSecu
rity="1" />

Sorry if I'm asking stupid question, kind of a newb...

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Thanks for the amazingly fast response !
Now that I've opened this Preferences.xml file, I still have a problem...

I can't find anything about the Ipv6 enable in there.
Here's what I see :

<Preferences AnonymousMachineIdentifier="508fe964-1f7b-41d7-94d1-42312342c2f4" M
achineIdentifier="c02a1fa7-d331-4c38-ba0d-2329353514b3" MetricsEpoch="1" Process
edMachineIdentifier="1c4621fe5220de4dc1d2af14876dc4828f3d531d" disableRemoteSecu
rity="1" />

Sorry if I'm asking stupid question, kind of a newb...
I don't know any other specifics about Plex, maybe someone else would know

fragd

Cadet
Hey this fix worked for me. It reminded me that I turned on IPV6 when I was troubleshooting a bug that exists with Vizio tvs only (lol). Anyway, once I edited the preferences file it worked perfectly. Cheers boys!

Slovak

Explorer
Same issue in FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201605170422. Solved by editing /var/db/plexdata/Plex\ Media\ Server/Preferences.xml within the jail and removing the ipv6 entry.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
IPv6 on FreeBSD sets up sockets differently than Linux and Plex doesn't bother to support it in the FreeBSD method.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks to Slovak for pointing to the Preferences.xml file, and SweetAndLow for explaining the issue, now my server is up and running correctly again and I finally have a stable plex server.

Status
Not open for further replies.