Freenas 9.2 RC released proably a little early.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnus33

Patron
9.2 rc is certainly looking good but the release is probably about a week ahead of the time it should have been put out to the public.

There some basic stuff that just doesn't work correctly like auto-tune and compatibly issues with older drives.
Also update issues with plugins seems to be there to.

Release candidates primarily work with some back end bugs that still need ironing out.
This is more a beta with some basic things just not working yet.

Now that said from what i see its going to be quite nice when it is done.

J

jkh

9.2 rc is certainly looking good but the release is probably about a week ahead of the time it should have been put out to the public.

Noted. For the the next release candidate, we'll pick a time when we think it's ready then wait 7 days before actually copying it to the FTP site. :)

In all seriousness, none of the issues you raise have actually been filed as bug reports (auto-tune doesn't work correctly? In what respect? What older drives, and what incompatibility issues?) so I'm guessing 9.2.0-RC actually works FINE in those areas and the bugs are elsewhere! Which people have been filing, and we thank them for that.

We are a small development group (seriously small - we can all fit into a single phone booth, assuming one can find a phone booth anywhere, anymore). While we all "live on" the builds well before the -RC is cut (we live on builds while they are still in -ALPHA state, and we don't even release the ALPHA builds publicly!) and fix the problems that we encounter, we can't possibly hit every part of the UI in every build - it takes a lot of people to do that. Even things that seem painfully obvious we often don't run into because our hardware is different than yours, or we've been upgrading our systems in ways we're personally comfortable with rather than the ways that some of you do (seriously folks, wtf!) or we don't run them under Qemu running under Virtualbox running under KVM, or whatever.

Seriously, you folks do some weird stuff, and when we release a -RC all the folks who wouldn't even consider running a BETA (which we also released) go "Ahhhh!! This is going to be the release?? We'd better run it!!" and then they stub their toes on everything we missed. And file bugs. Which we fix. Seriously, check it out. We're fixing stuff every day, and FreeNAS is getting better and better as a result. We also won't ship 9.2.0-RELEASE until all the show-stopper bugs are fixed (and we're pretty broad in our definition of what we consider show-stopping) so, in a very real sense, the ship date of 9.2.0-RELEASE will be dependent on the bug reports we get.

http://bugs.freenas.org - check it out!

Thanks!

Magnus33

Patron
Those bugs have already been reported and i believe the autotune was resolved already.
The older drive issue from what i reading is to do with zfs and older firmwares on some drives not supporting the new system which is also been reported.
Not sure if its merely a benign warning or a actually system affecting bug.

Now don't take the review the wrong way i think 9.2 is going to be amazing but i think your first line may have been truer then intended since there are a few bugs that weren't hardware related just broken code or missing.
There is nothing in this release that going to break anyone freenas system pass the point of recovery so this clearly not a use at your own risk build.

I like many are amazed at the work you guys do and check the bug reported often.

This is in no way meant as a diss on the work you guys do but maybe a update to the release RC with the more glaring bugs that have been already fixed and a note added to the Rc announcement about warning some are seeing that sound serious but probably aren't.

Sweet work as always and for others reading this don't panic there no system ending bugs and you can always go back. to 9.1.

Status
Not open for further replies.