FreeNAS 9.2.1, ESXI 5.5 and NFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

josephpremds

Cadet
dear friends,
I need help with regards to freenas 9.2.1 release and esxi5.5 .I want to mount the existing nfs volumes to the new esxi which i have added to the cluster.
do i need to create a new freenas vm or using the existing volumes to add to the esxi host

Please suggest me a solution
regards,
joseph

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
More info would be helpful:
  • Are these two separate machines; ESXi is on its own and FreeNAS is its own physical system?
  • Do you already have a NFS Share setup that ESXi is connected to or is this an entirely new venture?
I am *guessing* that your FreeNAS is actually a VM within ESXi? This is since you mentioned "do i need to create a new freenas vm".

Any particular reason you are running FreeNAS 9.2.1 instead of the latest stable (9.10.1)?

System Specs would help as well.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
dear friends,
I need help with regards to freenas 9.2.1 release and esxi5.5 .I want to mount the existing nfs volumes to the new esxi which i have added to the cluster.
do i need to create a new freenas vm or using the existing volumes to add to the esxi host

Please suggest me a solution
regards,
joseph
I'm not sure I understand your question...

You're running FreeNAS 9.2.1, which provides an NFS-based datastore to an ESXi 5.5 cluster? If so, is this instance of FreeNAS virtualized?

You've added another server to the ESXi cluster, and need to mount the FreeNAS NFS datastore?

Wouldn't you just mount the NFS datastore on the new ESXi server in the usual way? Why would you need to create a new FreeNAS VM?

As @Mirfster pointed out, a full description of your systems and what you're trying to accomplish would be helpful.

josephpremds

Cadet
my setup

we had 6 esxi host and 6 free nas vms connected
each freenas have own ip address and each esxi host is mounted on each freenas

but we had some issues with with two of the esxi host we replaced with two new dell servers and i did a fresh install of esxi5.5.
but Iam not able to mount the volumes on the new dell servers
I have added the vmkernel ip address with mtu 9000 on the esxi host in nfsclient setting but not able to open ports 111 and 2049 for nfs client
I do not have any idea whether it is a vm or physical machine but iam not able to see any vm referring to the freenas but i can see .samba4 folder in the datastore
because all the freenas version is 9.2.1 and client wanted to use the same that is the reason we are using freenas 9.2.1

please advice me on this issue
regards
joseph

josephpremds

Cadet
when i mount the nfs datastore it says cannot mount the particular vloume
i tried with vsphere client and ssh the esxi host and tried command type as well

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about

josephpremds

Cadet
I receive this error
upload_2016-9-7_17-50-36.png

josephpremds

Cadet
yes but tcp and udp ports iam not able to open the port 111 and 2049 for nfs client
but there is no option to add the ports

Status
Not open for further replies.