freenas 9.2.1.7 semi-neglected, looking to do housekeeping and upgrade fully to latest freenas

freehero

Cadet
Hi and thank you for reading! This is my first post here and I have many good thoughts about the freenas community and of course freenas itself.

I put together this system about 5 years ago. End goal here is to bring the system up to date with the latest freenas, with the secondary goal of being able to easily just pay for a cloud backup service which works with a newer freenas. I was part of the crashplan crew and when that went down, I haven't had time to figure out how to back this thing up. Seems easiest just to make it nice and clean and I am just assuming newer freenas will work with some cloud backup services.

1) I've never done any upgrade on freenas, but I've googled how to do it and looks like best is to follow 9.2.1.7 to 9.2.1.9 then 9.3 then 11 so I was going to do that. However...issues 1a and 1b, and 1c have stopped me.

1a) I didn't want to blow it and lose my 6TB that is not backed up. Should I just buy a 6 TB drive just for this process? Any high incidence rate of data issues with upgrading?

1b) Also for some reason, this old GUI is not quite working. A lot of the panels just aren't showing anymore. For example, the jails GUI which used to have a little HTML table readout of the jails just doesn't show at all, it's all grey. I attached a screenshot. Also same with view disks, and in other areas too. No idea what to make of this.

1c) Lastly, one my my jails is in limbo. It's my fault, kind of, but I don't know how to fix it and don't know what effects upgrading would have. It's a sickbeard jail. For some reason when I changed routers one day, that jail and that jail only could not longer connect to the internet no matter what I did. I finally got frustrated and upgraded via the GUI, which seemed to work but then would never start, so I deleted the jail and recreated it (all with the GUI), but it never actually ran again. Since available plugins no longer shows in the GUI there wasnt a way to redownload it if I even deleted it again, so I've just left it how it is. Now, 'jls' doesn't even show this jail and I'm not sure if it's really there, but the plugins page on the gui does show it, but there's a grey puzzly piece instead of an icon. I do want it again, but I do not know how to fix this.

My freenas has been excellent overall and looking forward to being able to get on the latest version. If anyone has any recommendations as far as 1a,b,c, if or how they would affect upgrading, and if so, whether they're worth fixing prior to upgrading.

Thank you

Attachments

• freenassysinfi.PNG
    freenassysinfi.PNG
    106.2 KB · Views: 250
  • freenasvols.PNG
    freenasvols.PNG
    125.8 KB · Views: 258
  • jails.PNG
    jails.PNG
    123.2 KB · Views: 223
  • view disks.PNG
    view disks.PNG
    121.7 KB · Views: 221

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Are you looking to build a new system to replace this or just upgrade the OS and keep what you have?
I didn't want to blow it and lose my 6TB that is not backed up.
What I would like to know is what kind of hardware you have in there, beyond just the CPU and RAM that I can see on the images you posted. Would you look at this guide and give us some details, especially what you are using for boot media?
https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/forum-guidelines.45124

freehero

Cadet
Are you looking to build a new system to replace this or just upgrade the OS and keep what you have?
Just upgrade the OS and keep what I have.

Yes absolutely.

• Motherboard make and model
    • ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+ FM2+ / FM2 AMD A88X (Bolton D4
  • CPU make and model
    • Intel Core i5-4590 BX80646I54590 Processor (6M Cache, 3.0 GHz)
  • RAM quantity
    • ADATA XPG V2 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR
  • Hard drives, quantity, model numbers, and RAID configuration, including boot drives
    • 4x Western Digital Red NAS Hard Drive WD30EFRX 3TB
    • raidz1 configuration ~9TB usable I think?
    • 4GB sandisk flash drive boot drive
  • Hard disk controllers
  • Network cards
    • Intel EXPI9301CT Gigabit PCIe X1 Adapter
StarTech USB A to USB Motherboard 4-Pin Header F/F 2.0 Cable, 6" (USBMBADAPT) is being used with a 4GB flash drive for boot media