SOLVED FreeNAS 9.10 No recycle bin on SMB shares

Status
Not open for further replies.

sourcefinder

Cadet
I installed FreeNAS 9.10.1-U4 on two machines several times. The situation (example names): group chief has as members user1, group user has as members user1 and user2. The owner of dataset 01-chief is user1 (group chief), the owner of dataset 02-userset is user2 (group members). The two datasets are shared as chiefshare and usershare. So very simple I would say.

The problem is in the recycle bin: It' s just not there. I read all kinds of possible solutions, but I can't get it right. The only thing I'm sure of, is that the problem lies with FreeNAS. I'm a Linux user, and when I make a SMB share on Linux to another Linux PC in the same format, with the same rights, the recycle bin works.

Possibly it it a missing vfs object, because I can't see a VFS object called recycle when I share something. Maybe I have to add it to system -> adjustable parameters, but I don't know how. Autotune doesn't help either.

Does anyone have a working recycle bin on their FreeNAS version 9.10 within kind of a standard configuration? Or has anyone got a solution?

In advance thanks for possible reactions!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

sourcefinder

Cadet
Thanks Jailer, I already done that. The recycle bin just isn't made. I added it manually, but still the clients refuse to delete files to the recycle bin.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Thanks Jailer, I already done that. The recycle bin just isn't made. I added it manually, but still the clients refuse to delete files to the recycle bin.
Did you stop and restart the SMB service after you made the change?

sourcefinder

Cadet

No never did that (not in the manual?). But restarted the systems several times.

Not directly (was not in the manual, thanks for the remark!), but restarted the systems several times. Just now I reset a system to factory settings, made the necessary changes. added the volume, datasets as described above, restarted, added the shares and restarted SMBD. No improvement. Also tried (on a clean system) to see whether it makes a difference when I configure the datasets as Unix or Windows, but with no result.

Last edited by a moderator:

sourcefinder

Cadet
In the meantime I installed nas4free to see what it does with recycle bin on smb shares. I've got the same problem. Multiple client computers (1 with Linux Mint MATE 17.3, 1 with W10 Ultimate). So it should be somewhere in the FreeNAS/nas4free settings. Searched with FTP for a folder .recycle, but nothing is found. According to this thread http://www.mattzone.com/freenas/freenas_20160612.html it just doesn't seem to work properly.

sourcefinder

Cadet
Recycle bin works fine here.

Hi pirateghost,

Can you tell me if there is a folder .recycle in the root of your shares? And are you using 9.10? Read something about upgrading form 9.3 to 9.10 and the .recycle bin has dissapeared...

Thanks in advance for your reaction.

sourcefinder

Cadet
Well, finally solved this strange thing. The .recycle folder on the SMB shares are activated on the moment you put data on the share and delete some files. The recycle bin is visible -as earlier written- by opening //smb/share/sharedfolder/.recycle. This is not in the documentation; I hope it solves this problem for other starting users!

CasualRambo

Cadet
Well, finally solved this strange thing. The .recycle folder on the SMB shares are activated on the moment you put data on the share and delete some files. The recycle bin is visible -as earlier written- by opening //smb/share/sharedfolder/.recycle. This is not in the documentation; I hope it solves this problem for other starting users!
Note: you ALSO need to tick "Show Hidden Files"

Status
Not open for further replies.