FreeNAS 9.1.1 Release: 32 bit version works, 64 bit version crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently installed FreeNAS on an old Precision 670 workstation (two 3.o ghz xeon CPUs, 4 gigs RAM.)

I was able to successfully download, install and configure the 32 bit version of FreeNAS with no problem. Installation was smooth and easy, and once done I was able to boot up the box and configure it with no problems. I was quite pleased with how simple and fast the process was.

But everyone says I really should be using the 64 bit version, so I decided to give it a try. The installation was just as easy, but when I try to boot up the box I get a kernel panic. I've ruled out defective download or bad media, so I figure all that's left is some sort of hardware compatibility issue or a problem with the distribution itself.

Here's the actual error I'm seeing. (I typed it so may be a typo or two in there. )

Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ufs/FreeNASs1a [ro]
exec /sbin/init: error 8
exec rescue/init: error 8
init: not found in path /sbin/init:/sbin/oinit:/sbin/init.bak:/rescue/init:/standard/sysinstall
panic: no init
cpuid = 1
KDP: enter: panic
[ thread pid 1 tid 100002 ]
Stopped at kdb_enter+0x3a: movl $0,kdb_why
db>

Any suggestions? I don't have any budget for this project, so I can't buy new hardware. If the x64 version won't run I'll be using the x86 version.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
What's your CPU? My guess is its not 64 bit.

HolyK

Ninja Turtle

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I don't know what the problem is exactly. But if it has only 4GB of RAM, unless you plan to run UFS, the cost of putting 16GB of RAM is probably more than building a newer(and more energy efficient and faster) system is pretty likely. CIFS is single threaded, so if you plan to use CIFS you can expect some pretty poor performance.

Just to follow up, I decided to try installing an older x64 release. I downloaded and installed 8.3.2 on the same hardware, and I encountered no issues.
So the problem is specific to 9, I'm guessing related to the newer FreeBSD version.

Since 8.3.2 works, that will allow me to add more ram, so I'm probably going to stick with the older version for now.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
More than likely the hardware is so old that some of the support from 8.x of FreeBSD was removed in 9.x.

More than likely the hardware is so old that some of the support from 8.x of FreeBSD was removed in 9.x.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I assumed. It's just weird that the 32 bit version works.

Anyway, 8.3.2 is running on this box with 12 gigs of RAM and performance is great, so I'm good for now. Eventually I'll get a real server.

Status
Not open for further replies.