FreeNAS 8 GUI isn't displaying all HDDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

warri

Guru
Hello,

I decided to set up a small NAS and tested FreeNAS 8 for a while. For that purpose I was using 3x 2TB in a raidz1, which worked really good!
So I upgraded the NAS with another 3x 2TB, but one of the HDDs is not showing in the GUI:
freenas.jpg

All 6 HDDs are listed in the dmesg.boot and seem to be online.
View attachment dmesg.txt

However, when creating a zpool manually via shell (zpool create -m /mnt/tank tank raidz ada0 ada1 ada2 ada3 ada4 ada5), everything works fine:

Code:
freenas# zfs list
NAME   USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
tank  10.6M  8.92T  10.5M  /mnt/tank

freenas# zpool list
NAME   SIZE   USED  AVAIL    CAP  HEALTH  ALTROOT
tank  10.9T  12.8M  10.9T     0%  ONLINE  -

freenas# zpool status
  pool: tank
 state: ONLINE
 scrub: none requested
config:

NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        tank        ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz1    ONLINE       0     0     0
            ada0    ONLINE       0     0     0
            ada1    ONLINE       0     0     0
            ada2    ONLINE       0     0     0
            ada3    ONLINE       0     0     0
            ada4    ONLINE       0     0     0
            ada5    ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

But I can't access this manually created tank via the GUI.. Obviously FreeNAS recognizes all HDDs, but the GUI somehow doesn't.

So my questions:
Can I somehow add the manually created pool to the GUI?
If not, how can I get the GUI to show all of my hdds?

Any help is really appreciated, I think FreeNAS is a nice system and I'd rather like to keep it on my NAS.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The GUI appears to keep a separate database of your layout, which is somewhat unfortunate since it means you need to avoid some forms of command line twiddling that would affect what the GUI is aware of. You should be able to "start over" and use the GUI to add those devices to your FreeNAS configuration. That's what I did when moving from an early FreeNAS .8 to the released version, and since you don't look to have much on the device, it's probably easiest.

It may be possible to twiddle stuff in the database, but that's probably less pleasant to plow on through, since you appear to be in a good position to move forward in a FreeNAS-approved manner of configuring.

dom239

Dabbler
The GUI appears to keep a separate database of your layout,... You should be able to "start over" ...
Hi jgreco.
this is interisting because I have the same kind of problem. 3 HDD out of 6 are not displaying anymore.
As my english is not good, what do you mean by "start over".
Do you mean to completely re-install freenas from the beginning on th USB key?
If yes, can I reload my last config?
If not, wil I erase what I have on the 3 disks which are OK?
Thanks for the ... english lesson...
Dominique

warri

Guru
Thanks for your reply!

I think I figured out the problem. I also had a small 250G hdd installed a while ago, on which I created a pool via the FreeNAS interface.
Obviously the FreeNAS database linked this pool to ada1, while ZFS itself wasn't aware of that old pool anymore.
I'm going to delete all volumes and pools from the GUI and hopefully that is going to fix the problem - luckily it was just a test machine so far, with no data on it as you noticed correctly.

@dom239: Check, if you have old entries in the "list all volumes" section and maybe delete them if they are obsolete (WARNING: This could erase your data!)

I'll keep you informed if this solution is working.

BTW: Is there any possibility to do a "ZFS import" via the interface? I noticed the import volume option, but that will only take UFS, NTFS or MSDOSFS. Again, a zfs import via console works, but isn't showing in the GUI.

/edit:
Worked as expected!

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Hi jgreco.
this is interisting because I have the same kind of problem. 3 HDD out of 6 are not displaying anymore.
As my english is not good, what do you mean by "start over".
Do you mean to completely re-install freenas from the beginning on th USB key?
If yes, can I reload my last config?
If not, wil I erase what I have on the 3 disks which are OK?
Thanks for the ... english lesson...
Dominique

No worries on the language front.

You can return FreeNAS to a default state from the command line. The database is over in /data, and there's a convenient "factory-v1.db" that holds default settings. Copying that onto "freenas-v1.db" and then rebooting puts FreeNAS backs to defaults.

You do not want to do that if you have data on the system, however. It will probably make it very difficult to recover what you do have on the system. I don't have a way for you to fix your system, unfortunately. You *can* copy all your data off and reset to defaults, then move your data back on to the system, but that's a poor solution.

MrBobC

Dabbler
I am having a similar issue. I can create the pool in the command line but nothing shows in the GUI, and on reboot the drives all have partitions which show up as corrupt which I have to run "gpart recover" on. Would an upgrade from 8.0-Release to 8.0.1-Beta2 fix this by any chance?

warri

Guru
I think creating a pool manually is not really supported by FreeNAS.
You could try to add the pool to the FreeNAS sqllite database (/data/freenas-v1.db), but I have no idea if it will work and if you can get all functions of the webgui.

rwatt

Cadet
Greetings all. I have the same prob, however this is a new setup. I'm using a proNAS box (DH-503AH) and runnig freeNAS through USB. I have 5 1TB seagate drives installed and I was only able to get one to show up. I went through the users guide to see if I can see the drives in CLI. I used the tw_cli command and show, I got back
"No controller found.
Make sure appropriate LSI/3ware device driver(s) are loaded.
Princeton_DN_503AH_PDC_1.jpg (I have not made any changes other than the IP adds so we can access it on the company network). Any insight/help would be greatly appreciated.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
So you:

1. Resurrected a thread that is more than a year old...
2. The thread is discussing a version that is at least 5 version behind(and you didn't even mention YOUR version)...
3. Didn't use your proprietary hardware(not to mention a google search of DH-503AH came up empty handed)...
4. You failed to mention what controller your hardware is using...
5. There is a DN-503AH(not sure if thats yours but its max is apparently 2GB of RAM.. very unsuitable for ZFS.

So notice where I don't have any answers for you...

Hint: Make a NEW thread and include all of that info and you might get a useful response.

Status
Not open for further replies.