isagarran

Dabbler
Hello,
I'm quite new on freenas even I've my own freenas built on:
Build FreeNAS-8.3.0-BETA2-x64 (r12317M)
Platform Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU G530 @ 2.40GHz
Memory 8088MB
ZFS with 4 * 2Tb disks in Raid 5.

I am using it for more than two years and for storage only (archive, documents, photos, videos, backup). I've my own LAN behind a managed switch (this switch is behind my Freebox). Accidentally, I saw that hackers was trying to access (a log that was growing and as I wondered why, i did a tail on it and I saw that each 5 seconds some people tried to access using random user/password). so I installed a Cisco firewall in front of it.
I tried to use a lot the Jail . I installed some examples as Firefly or transmission but it was only for learning purpose.
Now I would like to use Asterix at home. scenario will be to receive call anywhere in the house, someone ringing at the door and the picture is sent from the webcam to a screen. Or other usage. As my freenas server is always up and running, I would like to use it for Asterix software.
1/ Are you aware of an Asterix plugin for Freenas ?
2/ Does it make sense to install it on a Jail ? As some hackers tried to log on my Freenas , it seems to be more secure)
3/ Any advices ?
Thank you,

danb35

Hall of Famer
There is no plugin for Asterisk on FreeNAS. And, your FreeNAS server should always be behind a firewall--it isn't designed to be exposed directly to the Internet.

Really, your best option for Asterisk at home is to run it on something like a Raspberry Pi. Failing that, upgrade FreeNAS to something recent, add a VirtualBox jail, and install one of the Linux-based Asterisk distributions under VirtualBox. There's even a good chance you can find a VirtualBox appliance, so you won't need to install anything once you have VirtualBox going--just import the appliance.

Edit: and why have you been running for years on a Beta? Doesn't seem very safe for your data.

isagarran

Dabbler
Hello,
OK, I'll follow your advice and I'll try on my Raspberry. I've an old (Raspberry B)
For the beta version, I didn't pay attention to it :)
Is it risky to migrate V8.3 beta to version 9.3 ?
Thank you for your quick reply,

Nick2253

Wizard
There's really no "good" upgrade path from 8.3 to 9.3. You definitely can't upgrade directly; you'll probably have to go through at least half a dozen intermediate steps.

The best way to get to 9.3 is to write off your 8.3 installation, install 9.3 from stratch, then manually redo your config. You won't theoretically lose any data in this process (your pool should cleanly import without any problems), but there's obviously no guarantees. Standard "backup" disclaimer and all that jazz.

That would, I believe, be far-and-away the best option for you. Version 8.3 is old, and you are running on a beta. If it were me, I'd make this a top priority.

Honestly, if you have a simple configuration, it shouldn't take much time at all. Even if you have a super complex configuration, it would probably be faster to manually recreate it then take the (arguably) treacherous path of stepping through the upgrades.

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about writing off your data; that should be fine. I'm just talking about the OS and the config, which is where most of the setup work is.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
<rant> Asterix is a French BD character, the typographical mark is called an Asterisk, as is the PBX software. </rant>

Status
Not open for further replies.