FreeNAS 8.0.3 Reports Wrong Volume Size for RAID-Z

Status
Not open for further replies.

snax

Dabbler
Hi,

I have a NAS with Four 2-TB SAS Drives setup with RAID-Z. When I originally setup with FreeNAS 8.0, volume size was reported as 5.6 TB. Now FreeNAS reports as 4.0 TB! I enabled SSH and logged in to double-check and df command is showing the same thing. It looks like FreeNAS is failing to make a distinction between available size and total capacity, instead reporting RAID-Z size = available space. This bug exists only for main volume and not for any sub-volumes, as can be seen in this screenshot:

raid-z_size_error.jpg

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Saeed A Siddiki has 7 posts today, and 6 from yesterday, all asking the same question. Please, forum moderators, do something. This is just out of control. I thought I made it clear yesterday when I posted to all of his threads to stop, but he's back today.

He needs to be banned, prevented from posting, or something, until he understands that posting to multiple threads won't give you more answers. Not to mention that his question doesn't have much to do with the threads he's posting in.

Stephens

Patron
You can click on the little exclamation point inside a triangle at the bottom left of a post to report it for any forum rules violations. If this works the same here as it does in other places where I'm a forum moderator, notices are sent to the forum mods (via e-mail?) of these reported posts. Just in case they're not seeing them for whatever reason (busy with life, etc.).

JaimieV

Guru
Hi,

I have a NAS with Four 2-TB SAS Drives setup with RAID-Z. When I originally setup with FreeNAS 8.0, volume size was reported as 5.6 TB. Now FreeNAS reports as 4.0 TB! I enabled SSH and logged in to double-check and df command is showing the same thing. It looks like FreeNAS is failing to make a distinction between available size and total capacity, instead reporting RAID-Z size = available space. This bug exists only for main volume and not for any sub-volumes, as can be seen in this screenshot:

View attachment 625

This is normal (if a bit funny looking) - you can see the same effect in the Report graphs.

The parent volume "zander-raid-z"s reported size is the total disk space *less* any disk space taken up by child datasets. This is because datasets can be thought of as a sort of soft partitioning, so any space used in a dataset is no longer available on the parent.

So here you have ~1Tb in "backups" and ~.3Tb in "share". That doesn't quite add up to the missing 1.6Tb but it's close. Do you have some additional room taken up by snapshots, perhaps?

/Edit - bother, didn't realise Saeed was raising a necrothread. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.