FreeNAS 11 VM disk utilization - The tales of Ol'WhistleBritches

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few weeks ago I installed Plex to a newly-created ubuntu 16.04 LTS VM via Freenas 11 GUI (either U2 or U4). I created a 24Gb zvol (did not enable "force") and set it to use that as its disk (AHCI). Gave it 8 vCPUs and 4Gb of ram, as I understand Plex doesnt need that much in the way of memory.

All was good in the land of the free and the home of Milwaukee's Best. Got the Plex server all set up and running and started testing it out. (I have another primary Plex server set up via plugin, but wanted to migrate over to a linux flavor because the sonic fingerprinting feature of their premium library doesn't work with FreeBSD systems. Something to do with Gracenote and their source code.... not happy about that.)

It ran fine for a week or two, and OWB (that's me) went off to hunt some squirrels. Somewhere along the line (and assuming after a server reboot or two), Plex started failing to load on the VM. I can still log into the VM and get into the OS, but I'm getting free space issues now when trying to do simple "cd" browsing throughout the file directory. ( I can't use tab auto-complete in bash without a free space warning.) At this point, OWB started using colorful language, under the admonishment of the future Mrs. OWB, (Ms. Tite'WhistleBritches).

A look through the FN GUI at storage shows that my 24Gb zvol pseudo-disk is currently using 37Gb. (Aside: OWB also has a pihole dns ad-blocker running on a separate VM, also with a dedicated 24Gb zvol, which is reporting to use 27Gb). Mind you, OWB's entire FN server is 16Tb net, 4Tb of which is in use.

RAM doesnt appear to be utilized at all. "Free -m" reports using a whopping 67Mb of 4Gb.

At this point, OWB was rather stumped. Also at this point, Ms. TWB consulted the services of a southern Baptist preacher regarding OWB's proclivity towards yelling at lit screens, who has suggested the readings of another particularly voluminous user manual.

tl;dr:
I'll admit that I'm still learning the setup / limitations / intracacies of VMs, but dollars to donuts I'll bet that storage issue is related to why Plex won't load. I'm considering trying a snapshot rollback for lack of better ideas. Haven't been able to find anything on the forums or in the manual that solved my problems yet. Thoughts?

OWB

ljw1

Dabbler
The problem will be that your plex library database is filling the disk. If you have a anything but a trivial library the disk usage is a lot higher than you would expect. Try again with at least a 100Gb disk.

OK, I'll give it another shot. I did see where it was suggested to provision more disk space than you set up in the VM OS, so I'll try that as well...
OWB

Status
Not open for further replies.