FreeNAS 11 | Install / Boot Hang when LSI Card Installed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

schoolpost

Dabbler
Hello,

Really stuck as to what could be causing this issue, so here's the situation:

Upon attempting to install / boot FreeNAS 11 the system hangs when I have my LSI Card installed.
When I remove the card from the system, it boots just fine.

This screenshot below show the boot state which halts for about 5-10 seconds ( doesn't seem like anything out of the ordinary as it does continue on from this point )
ACkY4Su.jpg

The next screenshot is basically where the system stalls and proceeds no further.
oJxEhk9.jpg

Hardware:
Supermicro X8ST3-F
Intel Xeon E5530
24GB Kingston DDR3 ECC
LSI 9211-8i HBA

So these are things I've tried:
1. Tried the LSI card in all PCIE Slots, with no other cards installed.
2. Disabled unnecessary SATA/SERIAL/PCI controllers and features in the BIOS
3. I flashed my LSI card to the latest IT Firmware and BIOS.
4. Also Tried FreeNAS 9.3

None of the above has resolved the issue.

I know the LSI card works because in windows it detects drives just fine.

Also as a side note the LSI Card doesn't have any LSI stickers or marking indicating it is a 9211 model card.
I realize these cards go under different branding from different vendors, as with this one it is labeled as a "SAS2008-8i"
Not sure if this may be implicit of a fake or knockoff product?, which may be what is causing my issue?

Not really sure where to go from here? has anybody experienced similar? Any other procedures I can perform to help further identify the issue?

schoolpost

Dabbler
Consider the issue solved.

Sort of...

Upon verbose of the boot sequence I noticed PCIB8 was referencing something to do with VGA.
So I installed a GPU for display instead of using the onboard VGA, booted up just fine and everything seems to be working.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Sometimes this can be solved by putting the card in a different slot. I've never bothered to figure out why.

Status
Not open for further replies.