Freenas 11.3 vlan issues

desiguy

Cadet
Hello everyone,

I have installed freenas 11.3 U2 multiple times trying to fix this issue and keep getting the following error message when I try to enable vlans. I have 2 nics and one is being used as my management nic.

When I try to enable a vlan and save the changes, I get the following error message
I have tried forcing the nic to non-dhcp and not specifying a ip but I run into the following error message

Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 130, in call_method
io_thread=False)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1084, in _call
return await methodobj(*args)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 961, in nf
return await f(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/network.py", line 664, in commit
await self.__check_dhcp_or_aliases()
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/network.py", line 593, in __check_dhcp_or_aliases

'At least one interface configured with either IPv4 DHCP, IPv6 auto or a static IP'
middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EFAULT] At least one interface configured with either IPv4 DHCP, IPv6 auto or a static IP is required.

Switchport shows as

interface 0/22
description 'FREENAS'
switchport mode trunk
switchport trunk native vlan 210
switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,210,220,230,240,250
ip mtu 1500

I have tried with and without native vlan and my pfsense firewall is acting as the dhcp server. All other devices work except for freenas.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Don't forget to enable portfast on the switchport. Otherwise, the 30 seconds it takes for the port to converge is too long for DHCP to supply an IP.

desiguy

Cadet
the switchport is configured as a trunk port.

If this makes a difference, I am using a ubiquiti switch.

Last edited:

Samuel Tai

It's possible to configure "spanning-tree portfast trunk" to enable portfast despite it being a trunk port, since it's connected to a host.

desiguy

Cadet
that option is not available on ubiquiti switches. From what I read, it says that the nic that is being used for vlans should not have a ip on it. I am trying to disable DHCP so that there is no ip specified on it.

Samuel Tai

The parent NIC, yes, but the VLAN interfaces do need IPs. To get around the spanning tree portfast issue, you'll need to define static addresses on the VLAN interfaces.

desiguy

Cadet
I am not getting far enough to configure the vlan interfaces. I have 2 nics. one that is a mgmt nic and is set to DHCP and the other one I am trying not to set a ip. it is showing 0.0.0.0/8 and when I try to disable DHCP, it won't let me save it.

desiguy

Cadet
I was finally able to get it going. I had to go in via console and set em0 ( data nic ) to non-dhcp and then rebooted. The settings stayed and I was able to add the vlan and then the bridges.

Thanks for all the assistance