FreeNAS 11.3-U1: rsync PULL problem

Z300M

Guru
I had rsync pull working on my FreeNAS machine many months ago but, having upgraded my Linux desktop hardware and switched from Ubuntu to Manjaro, I decided to redo all my rsync tasks -- but without success so far.

The Guide tells me to define the rsync module in Services ➞ Rsync Configure ➞ Rsync Module, ADD

then start the rsync service on PULL in Services

I have defined the Module, but I cannot see a PULL option in Services. I turn on the rsync Service, but nothing happens: no data transfer, no error message, nothing. And even if it would work, I see no option to define how frequently the job would run.

I have already had rsync PUSH jobs running from the Linux desktop to the FreeNAS machine, but what I really want is to have rsync PULL jobs running on the FreeNAS machine scheduled to backup different machines on the LAN on different days of the week.

Last edited:

JaimieV

Guru
then start the rsync service on PULL in Services

It means "start the rsync service on the FreeNAS machine that is doing the Pull", which it looks like you have already done. Don't worry about that.

You defined the Rsync module on the *source* machine, right? Not the FreeNAS? I mean, you can use a module on the FreeNAS Pull machine but there's no need, you can just use the FreeNAS local path in the next step, which is

Define the actual rsync to do over in Tasks/Rsync Tasks. Once you're here, hit the ADD and it should all become clear.

Last edited:

Z300M

Guru
I did what you suggested, and I get

Code:
'change_dir "/mnt/<FreeNAS pool name>/<username>//<same username>@<Linux box IP address>" failed: No such file or directory (2)'

'rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors) (code 23) at main.c(1191) [sender=3.1.3]'

I do not understand what is going on: the FreeNAS rsync task seems to be trying to read from a location that bears no resemblance to the location defined in the rsync module on the Linux machine.

The <FreeNAS pool name>/<username> is where I want the "pulled" data to be stored on the FreeNAS machine.

Z300M

Guru
And if I click on the ">" at the right-hand end of the rsync task I've defined, I see among the parameters an uneditable

"Remote SSH Port: 22"

But surely that does not apply to Module mode, does it?

And instead of "Path" there is now "Remote Path" -- so why, when I tried enter my Linux box's path did the rsync task configuration thing insist that it had to start with /mnt/ ? And if that is where I am supposed to enter the remote path, where do I enter the file destination on the FreeNAS machine?

ISTM that rsync as currently implemented on FreeNAS 11.3-U1 (whether by design or by accident) supports only rsync via SSH and not rsync Module mode.

JaimieV

Guru
I can't work out where you're going wrong, but you should have something like this:

rsync.png

/Edit: Ah! Okay, I think the UI is just buggy, for saying Remote SSH Port and Remote Path: in the > dropdown.

rsync.png

Z300M

Guru
I've tried all sorts of things, and a couple of times I got

Code:
ssh: connect to host 172.24.1.101 port 22: Operation timed out

So it appears that it is trying to use rsync over SSH even though I've specified module mode.

Z300M

Guru
Did you define your rsync PULL task in FreeNAS 11.3-U1, or had you defined it in an earlier version and are now only viewing it in 11.3-U1?