FreeNAS 11.2-U8 no updates to 11.3

avalon60

Guru
I just wondered if to get FreeNAS 11.3 , is it a new install, and not an update, as I expected it to be.
I'm not bothered as such if I have the update / upgrade or not, as my current system is chugging away nicely.

Thanks

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
You just need to change what they call trains. It is a setting in the updates menu. You are on the 11.2 train and you need to switch to the 11.3 train. It is a manual switch because some people don't want to jump to the new version as soon as it comes out.

Last edited:

avalon60

Guru
Thanks for that, and I've just updated my system, but it has produced alerts:

IPMI SEL low space left: 0 bytes (100% used).
Mon, 19 Oct 2020 04:05:41 PM (Europe/London)

Also alerts about new feature flags available for my volumes

Last edited:

Redcoat

MVP
IPMI SEL low space left: 0 bytes (100% used).
Mon, 19 Oct 2020 04:05:41 PM (Europe/London)
Your IPMI system event log is full. You need to open it in IPMI and clear it.

Typical position on updating feature flags is "don't do it until you are sure that you don't want to roll back to a previous boot environment".

avalon60

Guru
Ok thanks

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

avalon60

Guru
Not difficulties as such, but a couple of problems.
I wanted to change the theme to lighter colours, as the existing theme was too dark for me. After selecting some lighter / different colours, there was nothing to show or say it was selected, and the save button was greyed out. I then tried a different setting in another section of the theme page, but again no save button.
Ok, no big deal as such, but it was what I wanted.

Next, I noticed my cctv cameras were displaying error messages, saying Archive could not be recorded. I thought that was to do with permissions, but after checking, nothing had changed.

Because of the above I reverted back to 11.2-U8, where everything is as i want it.

@avalon60 A significant change in 11.3 is the end of Warden jails, which were still available under 11.2. If you're still using Warden jails under 11.2, you'll need to reconstruct these using iocage jails before upgrading to 11.3.

avalon60

Guru
Thanks but the problems were not jails as I saw it.
Since I reverted back to 11.2-U8, I noticed my emby plugin is no longer there and I get a message saying ('Dataset with path not found',)

Since I reverted back to 11.2-U8, I noticed my emby plugin is no longer there and I get a message saying ('Dataset with path not found',)
Well, if the plugin was built on an Warden jail, that's a possible outcome.

avalon60

Guru
I am trying to install a plugin but when I click save I get the same error message. Before I created this debacle for my self, the same plugin did install ok etc and worked fine.
Following the instructions in the FreeNAS 11.2-U8 user guide gives the same error. Something must have either been left behind or screwed the plugins install process.
Oh well c'est la vie!

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
If you're still using Warden jails under 11.2, you'll need to reconstruct these using iocage jails before upgrading to 11.3
Is there a guide for how to do that?

avalon60

Guru
Well I was using the guide to install a plugin to my present 11.2-U8 system but it didn't install because of the error I mentioned above. I can't see where you add a path in the new gui.

I found a guide on how reconstruct using iocage, and when checking, my jails are listed as:
iocage/jails/emby
iocage/jails/plex

Last edited: