FreeNAS-11.2-U5 to U7 Failure

silverwolf

Cadet
I am having an issue upgrading from U5 to U7. When I click "Fetch and Install Updates" it acts as though it is going through the motions. However, when it restarts it reverts to U5. I have also tried to install manually with a 11.3 TAR file, which also failed.

MOBO: Supermicro X9DRI-F+
CPU: Dual Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2650 v2 @ 2.60GHz
RAM: 256GB (16x16GB)Kingston DDR3 1600 ECC
HBA: LSI 9305-24i 20x 10TB WD Red HDDs, 4x WD Red 4TB SSDs,
NVMe Expansion: 2x WD Black 2TB
NIC: Mellanox MCX312A-XCBT ConnectX-3 Pro 10Gbps Dual-Port SFP
NIC (iSCSI): Mellanox CX314A MCX314A-BCCT ConnectX-3 Pro 40GbE Dual-Port QSFP+

Could someone point to where to start troubleshooting? When I check var/log/messages nothing strikes me as an obvious problem (Though I don't really know what I would be looking for).

Currently I have a SAMBA share that has data that is incredibly important on HDDs and iSCSI for SSDs/NVMe (which aren't really being used yet).

Help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,

Silver

msbxa

Contributor
When you're not sure where to start, do the following:
1- Make a backup of your current config file.
2- Restart your current FreeNAS 11.2-U5 and make sure everything is still up and running.
3- Upgrade to FreeNAS 11.2-U6 if possible and make sure everything is still up and running.
4- Now try to upgrade to FreeNAS 11.2-U7 and let us know how it went.

Note: Remember your warden will still run without upgrading.

silverwolf

Cadet
msbxa,

When I try to install the manual TAR file of U6 I get this error. When I tried to update to 11.3 I got a similar error. When Freenas tries to pull in the update it 11.2 U7, so I opted to manually install U6.

[MiddlewareError: Could not destroy memory device: mdconfig: ioctl(/dev/mdctl): Device busy ]

Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 332, in run
await self.future
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 363, in __run_body
rv = await self.method(*([self] + args))
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 664, in nf
return await f(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/update.py", line 589, in file
await self.middleware.call('notifier.destroy_upload_location')
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1102, in call
return await self._call(name, serviceobj, methodobj, params, app=app, pipes=pipes, io_thread=True)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1060, in _call
return await run_method(methodobj, *args)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1006, in run_in_thread
return await self.loop.run_in_executor(executor, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 56, in run
result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/middleware/notifier.py", line 1520, in destroy_upload_location
raise MiddlewareError("Could not destroy memory device: %s" % err)
freenasUI.middleware.exceptions.MiddlewareError: [MiddlewareError: Could not destroy memory device: mdconfig: ioctl(/dev/mdctl): Device busy
]

Thanks for the help, any other suggestions?

Silver

Attachments

• fn.PNG
    fn.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 198

silverwolf

Cadet
So I restarted. Then I tried to run the U6 manual file again and this time it looked successful, no blatant error and it restarted. But it comes back up as U5 still :(

1581388674811.png

msbxa

Contributor
It means it didn’t upgrade to U6. I think it’s time to stop there and create a ticket to developer because I found one ticket close related to your problem.