FreeNAS-11.2-U5 is breaking Pen Drives

VioletDragon

Patron
Hi,

I created a Pen drive using Disks in Ubuntu however its now causing Blue Screens in Windows 7. I then tried another Pen Drive in Windows 7 and burnt the image using Rufus then all of a sudden another Blue Screen now when ever i plug either pen drives in its causing Blue screens in Windows 7 yet i can format in Linux perfectly fine any ideas?

Kiran Kankipati

Dabbler
True. Not just this version, in general it is a bad idea to use a pen-drive for continuous use. And even worse as a server OS drive. A cheap low-capacity SSD is all we need. It is built for such a purpose. Anyway I discussed in detail in the video a while ago.

VioletDragon

Patron
True. Not just this version, in general it is a bad idea to use a pen-drive for continuous use. And even worse as a server OS drive. A cheap low-capacity SSD is all we need. It is built for such a purpose. Anyway I discussed in detail in the video a while ago.

Im making install Media to install to a SSD. Ive just done a test. Ive just used Disks in Ubuntu on my workstation to burn FreeNAS-11.1-U7.iso on the Pen Drive that caused the Blue screen with this iso it does not cause the Blue screen but with FreeNAS-11.2.U5.iso it causes the Blue Screen

Kiran Kankipati

Dabbler
Im making install Media to install to a SSD. I've just done a test. I've just used Disks in Ubuntu on my workstation to burn FreeNAS-11.1-U7.iso on the Pen Drive that caused the Blue screen with this iso it does not cause the Blue screen but with FreeNAS-11.2.U5.iso it causes the Blue Screen
Interesting. I see... BTW, may I know your USB drive model/ picture which caused the issue. I think some combination of violent read/write or something might've caused this issue. In my case, I have installed in a Kingston USB3.0 flash drive. It is overheating the drive. After few months, before it gets any failure, migrated to a HDD. Since I dont have any available SATA ports, for now plugged this HDD via USB HDD enclosure. Works perfect.

VioletDragon

Patron
11.1 is fine i can boot from that but 11.2 is a issue even when creating the Pen Drive. I have done a video but cant seem to post it. there is a issue with 11.2.

VioletDragon

Patron
The Pen Drives i am using are USB 2.0 Drives the one is a Kingston G3 8GB and the other is a Hama 4GB. Here is the solution to fix the issue with the Pen Drive even after formatting them in a Linux using gparted.

Restore the Disk image of FreeNas 11.1 to the Flash drive then format it again itll fix the issue with the Blue screen. I have just installed FreeNas 11.1 without any issues what so ever.

Kiran Kankipati

Dabbler
very interesting. I see. Why dont you install on a spare HDD and get away using USB pen drives altogether. You can use any low-spec HDD. (and may be some SSD in future).

VioletDragon

Patron
That might be a possibility but i think its a issue with the iso itself.

VioletDragon

Patron

nick779

Contributor

Unless something has changed in the last year, this is complete nonsense. Mirrored flash drives have been a standard for the FreeNAS OS for years. The file system is READ-ONLY while in use so there are no excessive reads or writes.

russnas

Contributor
I know peeps suggests using a hdd now but i have been using a 8gb verbatim drive for the past 5 years

pschatz100

Guru
Hi,

I created a Pen drive using Disks in Ubuntu however its now causing Blue Screens in Windows 7. I then tried another Pen Drive in Windows 7 and burnt the image using Rufus then all of a sudden another Blue Screen now when ever i plug either pen drives in its causing Blue screens in Windows 7 yet i can format in Linux perfectly fine any ideas?
After formatting them for Linux, they will not work in Windows. To get them to work in Windows again, you need to remove the existing partitions and then re-partition them. A simple reformat alone will not do the trick.

jlpellet

Patron
Hi,

I believe that this is likely a known issue with Windows 7 32-bit & the new FreeBSD ISO (that moved away from GRUB) in that FreeBSD uses a nonstandard GPT layout in their ISOs (don't recall the details) & post-Win7 MS modified the GPT driver to support. If this is the issue, Linux disk diagnostics will show it but, AFAIK, everything later than Win7 is OK with the GPT layou FreeBSD uses.

For more info, see the links below.

https://www.google.com/search?sourc...hUKEwiKs7mYjd7jAhVM2qwKHeI_DTcQ4dUDCAc&uact=5

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/blue-screen-of-death-when-insert-freebsd-usb-stick.62230/

Hope this helps.

sretalla