FreeNAS 11.2-RC1 Ubuntu Server 18.04.01LTS VM failing to start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spencer Skinner

Contributor
Hi guys,

Im back again, confused by yet another issue ahaha

Having issues once again with setting up a stable Ubuntu Server 18.04.01LTS VM, I can install it fine and it remains stable for maybe a day or two but then all of a sudden it will crash and the refuse to start, I will bring the VM online, VNC into it and just get a black screen, same with then I try and serial into it, I just get a blank console which wont allow me to input anything. The weird bit is that when i restart the whole FreeNAS system the VM will be fine again, I've got no idea whats causing the issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys!

D

dlavigne

Were you able to resolve this? If not, what are the system's hardware specs and which version of FreeNAS?

Theoco

Cadet
I have this exact same problem with the exception that I am using Ubuntu 16.04. It *seems* to be distinct from the UEFI initial boot issue which I was able to fix. It also seems to happen after a kernel update or two.

I have tried to reinstall GRUB2, but I was unsuccessful. I have also tried restoring from a snapshot (which I made after the first failure), but that too refused to boot.

I do have a CentOS 7 VM that is running like a champ on FreeNAS! I believe it uses kernel 3.10? It reboots, updates, and generally everything works perfectly. This gives me hope, but I have been quite disappointed running Ubuntu.

Would love to help diagnose if I can, I have a stock iX Freenas Mini XL.

Ted

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

I have this exact same problem with the exception that I am using Ubuntu 16.04. It *seems* to be distinct from the UEFI initial boot issue which I was able to fix. It also seems to happen after a kernel update or two.

I have tried to reinstall GRUB2, but I was unsuccessful. I have also tried restoring from a snapshot (which I made after the first failure), but that too refused to boot.

I do have a CentOS 7 VM that is running like a champ on FreeNAS! I believe it uses kernel 3.10? It reboots, updates, and generally everything works perfectly. This gives me hope, but I have been quite disappointed running Ubuntu.

Would love to help diagnose if I can, I have a stock iX Freenas Mini XL.

Ted

Which FreeNAS version (from System -> Information)?

Spencer Skinner

Contributor
High dlavigne sorry for the late reply, yeh im still having the issue, I am now using a 16.04 LTS Ubuntu VM, it just mysteriously hangs, I am unable to SSH into it but I can VNC into it, I only get a single though so I have to repeat disconnect and reconnect every time I want to refresh what I can see. Next time it happens ill get a debug dump from FreeNAS before i restart. My crashes are less regular now as it turns out some of my crashes werent caused by this but rather the lack of a SWAP drive and low memeory ahaha. I'm almost 100% sure its down to the bhyve process in some way now.

What is the command to restart the bhyve process on FreeNAS, as next time I get the issue I'll see if restarting bhyve fixes it.

I am running 11.2-RC1, Should i create a bug report?

Thanks

D

dlavigne

Yes, go ahead and report it and post the issue number here.

Status
Not open for further replies.