FreeNAS 11.1 SMB share Linux Win 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sgamm

Cadet
Hi All,

I have an SMB share setup on a FreeNAS 11.1 machine. No domain controller is being used. I can copy a file from the Win 7 machine to the share and copy the file to a Kubuntu 17.10 machine. But when I copy a file from the Linux machine to the share, I’m unable to copy that file to the Win 7 machine. It tries, but it eventually times out with an error that seems to indicate the Win 7 machine thinks the network connection was lost. Anyone seen anything like this before?

Stan

Sgamm

Cadet
I messed with this some more and it seems to be related to the win 7 machine being a VirtualBox VM. I'm able to copy files from the SMB share to a physical win 7 machine. This seems odd. I could have sworn this worked with FreeNAS 9.x

Sgamm

Cadet
I figured it out. The Win 7 VirtualBox VM was configured with 2 network adapters. The second network adapter was set to bridged adapter. That was preventing me from copying files from the SMB share to the Win 7 VirtualBox VM. Unsure why that happens, but as soon as I disabled the second adapter and started the VM; it fixed the problem.

Sorry for the noise :)

Stan

Nick2253

Wizard
Honestly, I've run in to some really, really, weird networking bugs with VirtualBox. I'm not really sure exactly why those problems happen, but it was one of the reasons that pushed me to spinning up a real hypervisor, so I wouldn't have to deal with VirtualBox any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.