FreeNAS 11.1 RELEASE and Intel 10gb NIC issue

Ray Milyard

Patron
So when I tried to upgrade to 11.1 it failed. I rolled back to 11.0-U4. Now I will not let me update any plugins. However the main issue was after system reboots my Intel X520-DA1-10 Gbe-Single Port comes up with right IP. I can ping it for about 15-30 secs then I can't . So I can't login to web console or anything to see what is going on.

Also today I did a FRESH install of 11.1. All my 1gig NICs are fine but have same issue with the 10gb.

Any ideas?

FYI Error getting trying to update Sabnzbd plugin:

Code:
Environment:
Software Version: FreeNAS-11.0-U4 (54848d13b)
Request Method: POST
Request URL: http://10.0.1.100/plugins/plugin/update/1/

Traceback:
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/exception.py" in inner
  39.			 response = get_response(request)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py" in _legacy_get_response
  249.			 response = self._get_response(request)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py" in _get_response
  178.			 response = middleware_method(request, callback, callback_args, callback_kwargs)
File "./freenasUI/freeadmin/middleware.py" in process_view
  162.		 return login_required(view_func)(request, *view_args, **view_kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/contrib/auth/decorators.py" in _wrapped_view
  23.				 return view_func(request, *args, **kwargs)
File "./freenasUI/plugins/views.py" in plugin_update
  238.		 if notifier().update_pbi(plugin=iplugin):
File "./freenasUI/middleware/notifier.py" in update_pbi
  2548.			 raise MiddlewareError("There was a problem creating the PBI")
Exception Type: MiddlewareError at /plugins/plugin/update/1/
Exception Value: [MiddlewareError: b'There was a problem creating the PBI']

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray Milyard

Patron
So still not sure what is going on. Seems when do fresh install it's working on the 10gb NIC. As soon as I import a volume then starts happening.

D

dlavigne

Update to 11.1, import a volume to reproduce the error, make a debug, and create a ticket at bugs.freenas.org and post the issue number here.

Ray Milyard

Patron
Update to 11.1, import a volume to reproduce the error, make a debug, and create a ticket at bugs.freenas.org and post the issue number here.

Since can't access via console guessing run freenas-debug -A. After running this what file and where is it that I need to send? Also since don't have access via Ethernet how can I copy this file and send it? Sorry but I am not very knowledgeable with command line.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dlavigne

The file will be saved to /var/tmp/fndebug. If you copy it to /root (or somewhere else on your pool), you'll be able to access it from your 11.0-U4 boot environment.

Ray Milyard

Patron
The file will be saved to /var/tmp/fndebug. If you copy it to /root (or somewhere else on your pool), you'll be able to access it from your 11.0-U4 boot environment.

Sorry to be a noob but which file is it I need to get now? See bunch of folders.

Ray Milyard

Patron
Looks like redmine.ixsystems.com down or having issues. Anyways still not getting this working. At this point not sure what to even do.

ondrej

Cadet
So yesterday I switched the Intel card for a Chelsio card and seems to be working as should!
Which chelsio card is exactly working? Im looking for n320e.which type/model is your card please? Its somewhere list of working 10Gb card?

Ray Milyard

Patron
Which chelsio card is exactly working? Im looking for n320e.which type/model is your card please? Its somewhere list of working 10Gb card?

This is one I got from Ebay:

NetApp 110-1114-30 Chelsio PCI-E CC2-S320E-SR 10GbE Dual Port SFP+ Network Card

ggoldfingerd

Explorer
I wish I would have seen this thread when it started my 10GbE ordeal. I purchased two Intel X520-DA1 cards in February of 2018. One was for my FreeNAS server and one was for my Windows 10 PC. Everything worked great until a few months ago on my FreeNAS server. I cannot see my FreeNAS server or any jails after a reboot. The follow error occurs once the FreeNAS server is up and running when I cannot see the server:

Code:
> ix0: link state changed to UP
> ix0: link state changed to DOWN

This continuously occurs. The fix is to disconnect then reconnect the fiber cable. The X520-DA1 works perfectly fine after this until I have to reboot. I see that the original bug was closed and will not be fixed unless it is a "widespread problem". I use FS.COM SFP+ modules coded to the correct manufacturer along with a UniFi US-48-500W switch.

The lesson for me at least is to stick with cards explicitly supported by FreeBSD. I ordered a Chelsio T520-CR from eBay.