SOLVED FreeNAS 11.0 as Samba Domain Controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Smith

Dabbler
Hi,

I have 9.10.2-U5 running as a samba domain controller. After upgrading I had a few issues getting Windows to connect but they appear to have 'fixed' themselves - odd but not unheard of with Windows

But while I was looking around the forums to see if I'd missed something, I came across this post about using Corral as a Domain controller:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/corral-as-a-domain-controller.52107/

This seems to be suggesting that since there is virtualisation in Corral the DC role should be moved into a virtual machine with FreeNAS defined as a domain member server.

Does this apply to version 11 too? are there any notes/documentation on how this is expected to be setup?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
This seems to be suggesting that since there is virtualisation in Corral the DC role should be moved into a virtual machine with Freenas defined as a domain member server.

Corral had all sorts of things. :) As @m0nkey_ stated, samba in FreeNAS 11 can act as an AD DC. I personally run DCs in VMs for a variety of reasons, but I don't use the FreeNAS server as a VM host.

It is probably not a good idea to virtualize the DC in a VM running on the FreeNAS server. This will lead most likely lead to race conditions as the FN server looks for the DC VM before it is available.

Ben Smith

Dabbler
Thanks both for the replies.

Yes, seems lots of stuff in Corral that hasn't necessarily been continued into version 11 for obvious reasons.

Providing a configuration that would allow the DC to exist within a virtual environment and then later dropping the DC capability in FreeNAS itself sounded like it would result in a configuration more compatible with the Samba team's recommended configuration which was why I thought 11 might be working towards this goal.

Will stick with the existing configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.