FreeBSD 9.3 jail on FreeNAS 9.2.0 RELEASE

Status
Not open for further replies.

ankorion

Cadet
Hey guys,
I've been reading this very helpful forum for a long time, this is my first post.
I'm using 9.2.0 RELEASE for about a year now and have various jails installed that are working perfectly.
I wanted to create another jail for an AMP server (testing web pages) by making a standard FreeBSD Jail. Learning that FreeBSD 9.2 is no longer supported and Apache needs the newest packet manager, it was a huge pain to make a workaround (which I can't reproduce it seems).
I thought, well I just install a Free BSD 9.3 jail. I don't want to upgrade my FreeNAS to 9.3, as I don't have the system requirements and don't want to mess up my otherwise working system. I then created a template and used this url: http://download.freenas.org/9.3/RELEASE/x64/jails/freenas-standard-9.3-RELEASE.tgz.
Using the shell:

Code:
uname -a

It seems that the jail is again 9.2
What am I doing wrong? Or did I get it horribly wrong and this file is just the one for FreeNAS 9.3, creating a FreeBSD 9.2 jail?

ankorion

Cadet
Guys? Just tell me if it's a really stupid question and I could easily look it up somewhere (I tried, trust me). I can take it ;)
It's just driving me crazy... I can't find information if it is possible to install a FreeBSD Jail 9.3 (which is still supported) on a FreeNAS 9.2.0 server

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, it is a stupid question, but there's so much fail that this is just disastrously ugly. Nobody wanted to touch it with a 10 foot pole.

"uname -a" tells you the kernel version (that's the version of FreeNAS you are running). It does not show userspace version (which is the jail version).

Using the 9.3 jails on something that isn't 9.3 is totally untested, probably a disaster in disguise, and not supported in the slightest. You're basically doing some hacky stuff with the OS, and nobody here is going to be interested in supporting or even replying because people *will* take a response as condoning the behavior.

Honestly, the answers are to either get it working with a real 9.2 jail, upgrade to 9.2.1.x or 9.3, or just give up on the endeavor. I used pkg-ng on a FreeNAS 9.2 jail, so I have no doubt it can and does work. In fact, my jails are still from 9.2.

9.2 is outdated, not supported anymore, and has some pretty nasty bugs (not to mention security problems). Not sure why you'd still be using 9.2, but the answer I think is the best long-term answer is to actually upgrade to 9.3.

Status
Not open for further replies.