Forum syntax highlighting broken

zoomzoom

Guru
Why does the forum's code box syntax highlighting not work?
  • I haven't visited the forum for a while, but I thought it used to have syntax highlighting
  • BBcode supports syntax highlighting and when adding a code box, the code language can be specified via the dropdown menu or manually:
    [code=<language>][/code]

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
Why does the forum's code box syntax highlighting not work?
  • I haven't visited the forum for a while, but I thought it used to have syntax highlighting
  • BBcode supports syntax highlighting and when adding a code box, the code language can be specified via the dropdown menu or manually:
    [code=<language>][/code]
To clarify, this is while using the default (not Ganz großes Kino), as I cannot be 100% sure it affects one or both themes. There has been some little oddness since the update to the forum software, largely minor but I can take a look around soon and see what I can, whether I can solve anything regarding this.

zoomzoom

Guru
To clarify, this is while using the default (not Ganz großes Kino), as I cannot be 100% sure it affects one or both themes. There has been some little oddness since the update to the forum software, largely minor but I can take a look around soon and see what I can, whether I can solve anything regarding this.
It's broken across all themes (I only use the default New Style, but screenshot the other two as well - the code box language in the link/screenshot is bash):

Attachments

• Screenshot (660).png
    Screenshot (660).png
    222.4 KB · Views: 149
  • Screenshot (659).png
    Screenshot (659).png
    210 KB · Views: 197
  • Screenshot (658).png
    Screenshot (658).png
    206.8 KB · Views: 250

zoomzoom

Guru
@Tigersharke No problem at all, thanks for taking the time =]

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
Test..
Code:
echo $hello . 'world';

PHP:
echo $hello . 'world';

I cannot see a blatant reason (in the configs) that it should not work. I'm not sure how it is supposed to be enabled or how it became broken. Maybe additional addons but I dunno how necessary this is to get an addon which may still not work for it, or may be limited for languages.

zoomzoom

Guru
@Tigersharke Thanks for taking the time to look into it - AFAIK, shellscript should always be recognized since it's usually the default syntax and even adding a shell or bash shebang doesn't result in a difference; Syntax highlighting isn't vital, but basic syntax highlighting makes reading code much simpler and more efficient.
  • Any chance something broke when the FreeNAS forum was migrated to the TrueNAS forum? (Last time I was active was prior to the migration - it's possible it's always been broken and I'm simply misremembering)

I can't even get it to display PHP syntax for echo $hello . 'world';, whether manually or via the formatting bar, choosing code, then PHP:
  • [CODE=php]echo $hello . 'world';[/CODE]:
    Code:
    echo $hello . 'world';

Could this be a problem with my user account?

Last edited:

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
I haven't used syntax highlighting, so I cannot say when it worked or stopped working, but it would make sense if it began to fail when the software was updated. As for FreeNAS forum becoming the TrueNAS forum, it was largely cosmetic but relatively minor changes involved. I believe the issue affects anyone trying to use syntax highlighting, and is not limited to any certain users.