Forum rules - signature files

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogerh

Guru
Now that apparently few of the forum regulars and moderators can read signature files, should the part of the forum rules regarding putting system information in signatures be changed? The only alternative would be either to specifically write it all out when asking a question, or have a text file handy one can copy and paste into a forum question. Unless the forum software itself can provide a similar function. Or, as I have just thought of, use a signature file and copy and paste its contents into the post when asking a question.

D

dlavigne

Now that apparently few of the forum regulars and moderators can read signature files

Can you clarify what causes this? Is it a user setting or a tapatalk thing or something else that causes this?

rogerh

Guru
Can you clarify what causes this? Is it a user setting or a tapatalk thing or something else that causes this?

As I have just checked, in response to Ericloewe's post, either Tapatalk or simply viewing the forum on an Android phone has this effect. I don't know whether the forum server identifies mobile devices and serves up a signature-less version, or if it is a deficiency of the Android browser.

rogerh

Guru
Many websites serve a mobile version of their content, but allow you to elect to receive the normal website source. Ebay for instance, where the mobile version has annoying limitations but the ordinary site is quite useable in a modern phone.

D

dlavigne

I don't use an Android so will wait to see how others weigh in on the matter.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Sigs show up fine on my iphone using safari and chrome and on the wardens android phone as well. I dont use tapatalk so I cant comment on that.

rogerh

Guru
Well they don't on my Galaxy Ace 2, an android phone. OTOH, I may just have sent a blank message here, I don't like touch screens!

rogerh

Guru
Might it depend on whether the phone declares itself as a mobile device? ISTR that larger tablets have recently elected not to, as the mobile versions of websites are quite annoying.

gpsguy

I don't see them in Tapatalk or Safari on my iPhone 5 running iOS 8.4.

Sent from my phone

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I can confirm that by default, chrome on Android is not showing the sigs, and that xenforo's version of mobile navigation is disgusting at best.

That said, I use Tapatalk 99% of the time on here and my desktop 1%. I won't see sigs anyway and I damn sure won't download text files from the forums to my device.

titan_rw

Guru
I primarily browse the forums on my desktop. But I hide all signatures. I don't need to see the same 12 line signature 3 different times on one screen. It just adds to the clutter and makes it harder to read the stuff that actually needs reading.

That being said, I don't think signatures are the proper location for hardware specs when they're being posted for troubleshooting. Picture this scenario. Guy posts that he's having problems with freenas crashing, and includes in his signature his current nas, which is a 4 gig atom d525 or something. He's told that his hardware is insufficient and that he needs more ram and preferably a better cpu for proper performance. A month later he upgrades to a Supermicro MB and Xeon 1230. He updates his signature to show off his improved build.

6 months later a visitor is browsing the original thread. From his perspective, a user with a Xeon 1230 and 16 gigs of ram is told he needs more ram, and preferably a better cpu for optimal performance. Now he goes and posts on a blog, or social media about how ridiculous the requirements are for freenas, etc.

Anyway, I don't think the signature area is the right for info that's technically relevant to the thread at hand. If you want to put your current build in your signature, then fine, but I think it should be posted separately when it's required reading. A, so that everyone can see it regardless of signature settings, and B, so that it doesn't change and cause confusion when people read the thread later and see a different build.

rogerh

Guru
I can confirm that by default, chrome on Android is not showing the sigs, and that xenforo's version of mobile navigation is disgusting at best.

That said, I use Tapatalk 99% of the time on here and my desktop 1%. I won't see sigs anyway and I damn sure won't download text files from the forums to my device.

No, quite so. I was suggesting that supplicant posters had a text file handy to paste their details onto the end of the text of their post; or the beginning or middle I suppose.

rogerh

Guru
I came here from a thread where a new user was bemused by being asked multiple times for his hardware info despite having it in his signature. So there does seem to be a case for specifically discouraging persons asking questions from relying on the signature file, rather than suggesting it as currently is done under 'System Information' in the forum rules. I say specifically discouraging because they will see others with the info in sig. files and may otherwise emulate them.

BTW, I think the same section would do well to add any HBA to the asterisked compulsory information.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I don't use an Android so will wait to see how others weigh in on the matter.
It's not strictly an Android issue. The XenForo layout presented to mobile devices omits sigs (along with a few other minor changes). In my case, it's IE on Windows Phone 8.1.

Anyway, I don't think the signature area is the right for info that's technically relevant to the thread at hand. If you want to put your current build in your signature, then fine, but I think it should be posted separately when it's required reading. A, so that everyone can see it regardless of signature settings, and B, so that it doesn't change and cause confusion when people read the thread later and see a different build.
I was going to argue for the first point. I hadn't even thought of the second one, but it's also an angle that should be considered.

I think it would be a good idea that the forum rules recommend explicitly including system specs in the body of the message.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Now that apparently few of the forum regulars and moderators can read signature files, should the part of the forum rules regarding putting system information in signatures be changed? The only alternative would be either to specifically write it all out when asking a question, or have a text file handy one can copy and paste into a forum question. Unless the forum software itself can provide a similar function. Or, as I have just thought of, use a signature file and copy and paste its contents into the post when asking a question.
Where does it say to put your hardware in your signature? All I can find is a description of what info to post in the thread.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Here it is:
Code:
@media (max-width:480px)
{
    .Responsive .message .messageInfo
    {
        margin-left: 0;
        padding: 0 10px;
    }

.Responsive .message .messageContent
    {
        min-height: 0;
    }   

.Responsive .message .newIndicator
    {
        margin-right: -5px;
        margin-top: -16px;
    }

.Responsive .message .postNumber,
    .Responsive .message .authorEnd
    {
        display: none;
    }

.Responsive .message .signature
    {
        display: none;
    }

.Responsive .messageList .placeholder a.avatar
    {
        margin-right: 10px;
    }
}

rogerh

Guru
Where does it say to put your hardware in your signature? All I can find is a description of what info to post in the thread.
It says something about "tag-lines", which is hard to interpret specifically, but combined with forum examples, I interpreted that as signatures.

Status
Not open for further replies.