Force 4096 bytes sector size after RAIDZ is in use (Production System)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Hey guys! I am very very happy with my FreeNAS server and recently benchmarked it to see my speeds,

SPECS
5x2TB Samsung Green Drives in RAIDZ1 + 40GB Intel SSD as a cache drive
I got 260MB/s for write and 300MB/s for read.

I was wondering though if I can turn on the option to force 4096 byte size after a ZFS Volume is already created. I read that for maximum performance I should have this option on for these newer 4k drives and didn't check it when I created the volume. Is there anyway I can do this without having to backup all my data elsewhere and recreating the RAIDZ? I was thinking exporting it, and re-importing it but I don't want to mess with things unless I'm sure they'll be helpful because this system is in use(and I'm not at it's current location).

Thank you so much for any help!

Milhouse

Guru
You can't add 4K sector support without recreating the volume and destroying your data.

You should always have a backup of your data from which to restore, unless it's not important to you.

If you don't have a backup, and the system is in use, and it's remote, then I'd suggest sticking with 512B sectors - it will be just fine and not worth the hassle of converting to 4K.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Thanks! I'll probably get more drives once they're reasonably priced and possible create a new zfs volume with a raidz2 or 2xraidz1.
If I go with raidz2 option I'll need to offload the data {bestbuys return poilcy is great =] }

Status
Not open for further replies.