First time 9.10.1 Crash. ASROCk C2550D41. How do I start troubleshooting what happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tfletcher

Cadet
I've never had a problem before. The machine has been rock solid. First time crash for me. Version 9.10.1 It was so unbelievable, I just knew my switch had failed when I couldn’t get to my data over the network. My last thought was that FreeNAS had gone down. I believe my uptime reached over 400+ days since the last power outage. I’ve never seen the system become unreachable until today. I’m looking for thoughts on what may have happened and what I could have done to prevent it. Data is intact. Nothing was lost thankfully !

When I power cycled it, it appeared like everything went back to normal. So it’s not that it’s offline, I’d just like to know what happened. Is there a script similar to an SOS report that I can run to grab a bunch of information useful for troubleshooting ? Sorry, no syslog is setup.

Here is the message, dmesg, and debug log. Thanks !!

ASRock C2550D41
RAM 16 GB Crucial DDR3 1600 Unbuffered ECC
WD Red WD2000FYYZ 2TB x4

Attachments

• fatty_messages.log.txt
    38.3 KB · Views: 234
  • fatty_debug.log.txt
    64.4 KB · Views: 259
  • fatty_dmesg.today.log.txt
    32.6 KB · Views: 221

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I don't know if you have read about this, but here is a thread you might want to look at:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/please-help.46766/page-2#post-321255
That model chip appears to have a flaw and although power cycling it got it back online for now, it may have been a warning. If your system is one of the affected type, I heard that they are replacing the board under warranty even if the warranty would normally have been over.
You might want to check into it.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I, too, was going to suggest what Mr. Moore said.

tfletcher

Cadet
I opened a support request with ASRock. I woke up this morning and it was down again. Wow
I've go this LIAN LI PC-Q25B case so if they don't replace it, I've got to find something else that can fit in there. Thanks. Will report back.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Indeed, if it's crashed again, then almost certainly you've been bit by this. ASRock's response to this has been, at times, good, and at times......very much less good.

Keep us posted.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I think this is the first intermittent case I've heard of. It's hardly unexpected, though. In hindsight, the sudden and catastrophic nature of most of these failures is the weird part.

tfletcher

Cadet
RMA replacement board in. So far, so good. I'll keep an eye on it. What is the disadvantage of not going to version 11 ?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
RMA replacement board in. So far, so good. I'll keep an eye on it. What is the disadvantage of not going to version 11 ?
I guess it would depend on exactly what you're doing with your FreeNAS.
I upgraded to 11 myself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.